Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Worth getting a rifle bipod?

I really like my Harris 13-25, although I prefer shooting prone off my pack when possible. Sometimes grass is too high, and that’s when the ability to extend the bipod is nice.

I typically just use my glassing tripod with a v-shaped attachment that snaps into the quick connect on it. That way I don’t have to carry both the tripod and shooting stick. If I’m actively glassing while I have the shot opportunity, then I use my pack. I saw a tripod so,some last year that was pretty cool. Two of the legs were detachable and could be used as trekking poles. Another way to cut down on some pack weight.

I love my bi pod and shoot a bit different with it,due to brush and such I sit cross my leggs and adjust it so my elbow is on my thigh so it makes a tri pod and doing that Im very solid for long shots
laying down works great too if you can get a clear shot

Not sure I really like the swivel, again thinking for longer shots I don't like to be doing a lot of panning. Maybe on a better model, I have some Leapers and when I swivel it the rifle cants to either side since the side with the leg closer to you gets lifted higher. Maybe other models don't do this. I try to get set for each shot with the bipods aligned straight instead of swiveling.

I think you’re interchanging two different terms. Panning is moving the barrel left or right where swivel is more or less rolling the rifle on top of the bipod

Without a doubt get the swivel model but out a pod loc on it so you can actually tighten it up. I have pretty much used the Harris 9-13 swivel. I’d lean towards the notched legs instead of the smooth legs as well

I think you’re interchanging two different terms. Panning is moving the barrel left or right where swivel is more or less rolling the rifle on top of the bipod

Without a doubt get the swivel model but out a pod loc on it so you can actually tighten it up. I have pretty much used the Harris 9-13 swivel. I’d lean towards the notched legs instead of the smooth legs as well
Yep, you're right, I was thinking panning. In that case, swivel feature would be nice, mine doesn't have that.

If you go the bipod route, I would definitely suggest the swivel feature. It can be annoying to try and make a swivel-less one level. I have a 13-27"? Harris. Good height for prone and perfect height for sitting when extended. I generally only use one antelope hunting and every now and then mule deer hunting. Nice to have in the kit even if you don't take it on every hunt.

If you go the bipod route, I would definitely suggest the swivel feature. It can be annoying to try and make a swivel-less one level. I have a 13-27"? Harris. Good height for prone and perfect height for sitting when extended. I generally only use one antelope hunting and every now and then mule deer hunting. Nice to have in the kit even if you don't take it on every hunt.
Thats the exact bipod I've been looking at today. Looks like a quality product.

I run a bipod on my rifle which is long enough to shoot kneeling or seated. If I need to take a quick kneeling shot or I'm taking a shot in the prone I'm shooting off my pack

Reactions: Guy
I like shooting sticks and from the sitting position. I can shoot prone w/o a rest, but if I had time, prone from a pack is sweet! Its just that I have seldom, seldom, shot from prone. In the mountains, I can usually get to a rock or tree for support. In the prairies, the grass has been too high or the terrain didn't allow prone. I hate to have any weight attached to me rifle, I don't even like the heavy leather slings. So ,the folding cross sticks work fine, but I only take them to the prairies. I should add that I don't shoot at unwounded game past 375yds or so. Long Range calls for a different shooting discipline than what I use. :)

Ya I made a fairly thin post. I hunt out her in California for deer and pigs. 95% of the hunting is in the hills so my concern would be finding a comfortable shooting position while laying/sitting along a hillside. My worry with a bipod is that I would have trouble making a quick, efficient set up as I'm fiddling with the bipod to make the rifle leveled vs just shooting off the pack. Not too knowledgeable on bipods so I don't know if this is a valid concern?
I've hunted similar country on the central coast since the early 90's with a bipod. Not everyone I know likes them but I surely do. From my experience I've found nothing more stable than prone with bipods and rear support. If the terrain makes prone impossible, don't lay down. For pigs especially, if you get in close the Harris bipod I use does not cause issues with other shooting positions. The only negative I've found is weight (which is not much at all) and sometimes it catches on packs. I think it is worth a try, without a doubt. They install on and take off a rifle in about one minute.

I'm looking at getting the Harris 13-27" for around here so that feedback is great! It's my second season hunting deer on the central coast; born and raised in Arroyo Grande. What were the herd populations like on the central coast back in the 90's in the area? Pretty good quality bucks back then?

I don't have one on my rifle, use my pack when prone and I carry one for sitting shots, doubles as a walking stick. My wife has a 9 inch one on her rifle, she doens't like the pack prone, but loves her bipod

Like a lot have said, it really depends on the hunt. This past year I switched from a Harris to a Spartan (when running a bipod, which isn't all the time). Not as flexible as my old Harris, but there isn't much of a weight penalty and I like being able to carry in my pocket to use if warranted.

Check out Kramer Design Corp. Terry makes crazy lightweight bipods. I haven't used his bipod but I just got his ultralight tripod. He is local to me and he builds them in his shop on a couple haas machines and the craftsmanship and engineering is superb. He also makes a shooting yoke to attach to his tripod, i might have to pick one up for mine, but i usually just shoot off my pack anyway.

I only use a bipod for pronghorn as I can usually use a backpack or shooting sticks for anything else.

The package containing your bipod was stolen, that totally sucks....!

I have used pack, sticks and bipod depending on circumstances. Good to have options. I bring all three in the truck, but I don't carry all three at once. Depending on terrain I choose on the fly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back