Worst than bad luck

Rest of story. it seems i am like the bear that went over the mountain to see what he could see, when all we were able to see, was the other side of the mountain. I say this because even thou i new there were plenty of elk there to hunt and Randy loves to hunt burns, at the time i did not, so went looking elsewhere. that is when it all went down hill from there. found another area with a few hunters to talk to that mentioned there were plenty of elk in the area and they have seen and herd them. so since the main reason i came archery was to hear and maybe have a close encounter with a bull even thou i only had a cow tag. so i decided to take a walk to see what the area was like. hear was mistake no. 1, brought nothing with me except calls and GPS. weather was showers and some fog after i got a ways in. marked a few rubs and wallows and decided to head back when batteries went dead on GPS. No sun and plenty off fog so tried to come back same way i went in. was doing fine until i decided to try to cut it short, big mistake. tried for what seemed like many hours before i came out on the main road only to have to walk a few more miles to get to my vehicle. I was just about on my last legs and thirsty enough to think i was in the desert. think that was bad? when i got back , found out i lost the keys to the rental car . walked back to one of the camps hoping for some kind of help.met a good guy from Casper whom i owe dearly, who tried to follow my track back to find my keys with no luck. then called the rental place for me to see if they would send me another key, no such luck, they claim they don't keep extra keys, Bull, will never use them again. now you have to picture where i am, hi on a mt. with with real muddy roads because of the rain. we called three tow trucks and three lock smiths and no one wanted to make the trip. i really didn't blame them when this great guy brought me in to town and saw first hand how bad the roads were.we had to put chains on at one point. He dropped me off at a motel and he went home for the night full of mud. you all know how windy Wyo. is and it was a blessing the next day because it dried up the roads and i was able to talk one of the lock smiths (another great guy) to have some one else pick up his wife at the airport when she arrived from Florida, plus talk her into letting him use her brand new 4 wheel drive pickup to get to my rental. all things went well at that point ,even thou it cost me another $640. have to put this in here, because i flew in i was not able to bring fuel for my jet boil and when i decided to get some, found out how hard it was to find it out there. only the bigger towns even knew what it was. so when Gary (lock smith) and i got back to town fuel store was closed so Gary was kind enough to give me a couple cans to last me the rest of my trip got to go for another hike another day later, saw or heard nothing. went to check out more of the unit since i am planning on going back with rifle, also have buck tag and doe lope tag. yes i think i am over doing it a bit,that may be because i am an oldman and have bad judgement. yes i take it all in jest. I really don't know why i do some of the things i do. but that is life. yes more bad luck, this time in the snow. some time during my driving i heard the brakes squeaking like maybe metal to metal and still had a couple more days to go, so down shifted as much as possible instead of using the brakes. so here i am going down this steep muddy grade in the snow when hear comes a rancher towing a horse trailer up the middle of the road, start down shifting but not slowing down fast enough so have to hit brakes and off i go, bam, bam bam bounsing off the bank till i stop. rancher stops to find out if OK but does not hang around when he found out i blew a tire. luckily there was no damage that i could see to the side of rental. so had to waste rest of evening changing a tire in the mud and snow with one of those lousy hand crank scissor jacks. found a place to pull over and spend the night. next day head back to town to replace the bad tire, hear we go again, did not have the right tire and missed the next delivery so had to wait the rest of the last day for tire which cost me another $224.

Dare I ask if the tire was the end of the unexpected expenses and bad luck? I hope there is still a "despite all the bad luck, I did ......" finish to your adventure.

well look at it this way. The next trip cant be any worse! Good luck to you

Usually have plenty of pics to show, but drove off one day with camera on bumper.do have a few on phone which i am trying to down load now which i am also having trouble with. Tough getting OLD.

Disaster Cartoon - Larsen.jpg

You might consider counting your blessings and stay home .... you might make 80. :) You also should think about taking out some life insurance on yourself for your wife or kids . . . . I don't wish anything bad .... But .......

Keep us informed when you return to fill that cow elk, deer, and doe antelope tag. I'm looking forward to that adventure.

Sorry for your tough luck. But here's to your persistence and still being able to make it into the field at 77. Hope I can at that age.

Bad luck alright.

Bad luck combined with poor decision making can result in not coming home. Luckily the "old man" only lost his keys and not his life. Hopefully his story will take a turn for the better on this trip.

That was a pretty epic story. We've all been there at one time or another. Perhaps the best argument for having a hunting partner is having the ability to share laughs at the misery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caveman84
Back