Wood Stock Help

jryoung

I'm in a very drawn out process of refinishing a low quality high volume stock with pressed checkering. I think the refinish part is simple as I'm planning on several layers of linseed oil to keep it simple.

The issue I have is in the poor pressed checkering. The pattern as you can see has large lines of 5 then it "skips" three or so lines but also as a result of the pressing, it creates dimples where the diagonals cross. Effectively, it's like an inverse checkering where instead of forming a diamond or raised shape by cutting away wood, the diamonds are pressed inward. When I use citristrip and attempted to clean out this checkering the wood frayed for lack of a better term and I have no idea how to clean it up. My thought would be to get some checkering tools and use the existing grooves to cut a clearer line, cut the additional three or so lines that are "missing" and only leave a small amount of raised material where two lines intersect.

Does anyone have any thoughts after looking at the pictures? Am I having a stupid moment (I always gotta ask)?

Last edited:
Hmmmm. I think if I were you, I'd probably just cut the entire line, leaving the bigger diamonds. I'd use a single point cutter and take your time, don't try to force too hard at the line intersections. Or, you could just chase out existing lines and then use a wire brush to try to clean up the remaining wood fuzz.

Hmmmm. I think if I were you, I'd probably just cut the entire line, leaving the bigger diamonds. I'd use a single point cutter and take your time, don't try to force too hard at the line intersections. Or, you could just chase out existing lines and then use a wire brush to try to clean up the remaining wood fuzz.

This.

Brass brush works well and keeps the wood a little sharper, in my experience.

Back