Caribou Gear

Wisdom, Dillon MT and inbetween

jryoung

I'm headed up to SW Montana next month to scout for ungulates. Was wondering if there are any places to eat, get a beer, buy a trinket for the wife etc. etc. that I should check out while I am in the area.

We'll be between Wisom and Dillon checking out the Beaverheads and West Pioneers. We'll be passing through the 'Root as well on our way so if there is a stop there you'd recommend I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

The Lion's Den in Dillon has always been good for me(eating and drinking). Bannack State Park is easy to do on that trip.

Last year I ate at Sparky's Garage in Dillon, only ate there once but it was dang good that time, if I get back in that area I'll definitely go there again.

Naps Grill, behind (west)Les Swab tire is a great burger joint.

Yep. I drive an hour from the big town just to grab one of these all the time.

If you wander north of Dillon, The Hitching Post in Melrose has really good food.

When in doubt in Montana, get Mexican.

I can not pass through Wisdom without eating breakfast at Fetty's Cafe on main street
Then a couple doors down is the trinket shop you are looking for.

You may want to by pass the Root, there are wolves, lions, tigers, and bears behind every tree. :)

It's just not safe. :)

I'll second Fetty's in Wisdom, and also Naps in Dillon.

Had some pretty good times in the bars in Dillon when a friend of mine was going to school there.

Fettys is good stuff in wisdom.

A place a cross the street went under new management a few years back... not bad steak type house... for wisdom.

Jackson hot springs is always a good time. 20 miles south of wisdom.

Ya know, think it was Ducks Unlimited at bretz rv years ago or ronald mcdonald house fundraiser... wife silent bid on jackson hot springs and won them. They said good until used (no exp date) though we called two years later and rude as all hell. Changed ownership and must have several of these out just before they switched ownership... never went to. Just tossed em out. Suppose time may have changed their attitude... sure hope for their business.

Last edited:
Can't remember the name, but there a place in Lima with a grill your own steaks set up. Pretty cool.

Lots 'o trinkets in Wisdom, but if you've not been be sure to stop by the Big Hole Battlefield. IMO, it's worth the drive from either place.

Awesome, thanks everyone for the recommendations, certainly sounds like we won't go hungry.

I went through the BH Battlefield 18 years ago just before my Sr. year in high school. It's part of the reason I wanted to come back to this area and hunt as it left such a great impression on me and my Dad. Such pretty country, saw my first moose in the wild (ran right through camp), and my first grizzly bear tracks.

Im sitting at Sea-Tac waiting for my final leg home. We had a good weekend walking around the woods. The Beaverhead is no doubt thick, but we saw some deer, saw some elk and saw sign everywhere else. Doesn't mean they'll be there on the opener two months from tomorrow but for three yahoos from three different states wandering around uncharted territory for us we're feeling pretty good right now.

An Nap's Grill, holy sh*t no one told me the 12oz. Burger could have been split between four people but I ate it all no less. Thanks all for the recommendations.

20120817_161622.jpg

Wiseriver

Have had a few good times at the Wise River Clun in Wise River. But I was younger then.

Anyone know of where or who I can contact to get a cord of wood (rounds or split) in Wisdom or better yet Jackson? I'd rather not run a chainsaw at or near camp nor spend a good portion of time cutting and splitting when I could be scouting the first couple of days.

I thought about calling the gas stations in town and see if they knew anybody. Anybody here have know anyone?

I can't recall if I saw anyone selling firewood in Wisdom or not when I was there last fall. I do know that in driving back to Idaho, I saw lots of folks cutting it for camp.

There's a general/western wear store in Wisdom. I'd call them as the lady that worked the cash register seemed to be "in" on all the goings on around town...

I figure Wisdom and Jackson are small enough so someone at the gas station has got to know someone. You'd think someone with a trailer full of wood at the gas stations just before hunting season could make a couple of bucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back