Winter kill update

Pretty tough to burn points on tags that don't exist.

Another very good reason to never accumulate large sums of preference points. I suspect the next few years are going to see significant tag reductions in large parts of Wyoming.

Herds are going to take time to rebound from this.
Any idea how well sage grouse handle rough winters?

Dang! Really was planning on cashing in pronghorn points this year but now not sure what to do

Doesn't happen until 2024...and NR's will also need a conservation license to pick up sheds. Both bills passed.
If the license cost anything it's just another BS money maker for the state...I would risk it and not buy it :) good luck catching anyone...

It has been a pretty brutal winter. I don’t think 17/18 has anything on this winter. Hope I am wrong. I am seeing
More dead than 07/08 which was a really harsh winter.

I have watched 3 different herds of lopes on my way to work. They have all shrank significantly in size. The one herd was smaller and had 9 fawns in it about 4 weeks ago there are none. That herd had at least 11 adults lay down and die… 3 more were hit by vehicles as they are stuck in the road right of way. I think there are like 19 left. So 23 know dead out of a starting population of like 44-45ish…

Then on the res I saw where there were 4-5 lopes killed by feral dogs on the river bottom. Todays on my way to work, I could see a coyote running lopes off the high way. That herd had 5 die within sight of the road in the last 2 weeks.

I am certain if a person really looked you could find a few during everyday. Just laying down and not getting up.

It is a huge area affected. I am here in Lander and it is really bad all the way south to Craig etc.

This bull did not make it. A friend for the state had it try and shelter from the wind on her plow truck…

Attachments

• 12E27D25-FD28-46F3-9F41-CF69D5602ACE.png
    12E27D25-FD28-46F3-9F41-CF69D5602ACE.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Yup. We have seen them bed in snow pockets and never get up here on our road.
Not good.

See they just found a disease outbreak in Lopes south of Pinedale…. over 200 dead…

That is on top of winter kill etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back