Winchester M70FW 270WSM Shooters....

Archie

Just broke in a new Featherweight Model 70 in 270WSM. This is a first for me, as I am not normally a magnum shooter, but I like its versatility and really like the new-old Winny controlled feed. So I'm not really looking for input on caliber - that's a done deal.

Anyway, I'm looking for some factory ammo input from same platform/caliber shooters if there are any out there on the forum. I have not yet begun working up my own loads for this one, as I have an elk hunt coming up at the end of next month and there is simply not enough time for me, so I am trying out factory pills to see what it likes and what it doesn't so I can get some meat in my freezer. My ranges will be in the order of 200-350 yards, mas o menos. I like a 200 zero.

Over the past couple weeks I have tried out Nosler's Trophy Grade 140 AB; Norma's Kalahari 120; Federal Premium 150 Nosler Partitions; Barnes 140TSX; Federal Premium 130 Copper; and Winchester Expedition 140 AB CT. I have a couple boxes of Norma's 150 Oryx on the way.

The results have been pretty surprising to me. In order of grouping accuracy, tops from the list so far is the 150gr NP from Federal, at about .632 at 100 and 1.4 at 200. Next in line is the Barnes at around .702, then the Nosler 140AB and the Expedition 140 AB CT at around .940 to just over an inch at 100. The Premium 130 left groups like shooting out of a straw. This rifle did not like them.

The Kalahari is a very interesting looking round, and I was hoping it would perform, especially considering the price. This rifle did ok with it at 100 (right around .936), but it was very disappointing out to 200 and 300, where it opened up much, much more than anticipated. In the order of a 4 inch group at 200. Not sure if it's just too fast (at around 3400fps) for this 1:10 to stabilize well or not. Might be the same issue with the 130.

So, for now it seems to be the Fed Prem 150NP (the cheapest of the bunch, by the way), unless the Norma Oryx (the most expensive of the bunch), at the same weight, outperforms it.

Anyone else have any suggestions from experience with this caliber and platform for me to try out?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

In my Browning A-bolt II 270WSM the Federal Premium 150gr Nosler Partitions were the best performer. I know its not the same platform though.

My Browning xbolt 270 wsm shoots the 140 gr. Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped very accurately. Worked well on a large cow elk this year, bullet went all the way through at about 130 yards. She took about 5 steps and dropped. It shoots about .6 inches at 100 yards.

I think your rifle has spoken. It loves the Federal NP 150's. That's a hard load to top. Buy enough to last you awhile and go hunting. That load will do what you need when you need. Now stop stressing and go hunt.

Good Luck
Dan

I think your rifle has spoken. It loves the Federal NP 150's. That's a hard load to top. Buy enough to last you awhile and go hunting. That load will do what you need when you need. Now stop stressing and go hunt.

Good Luck
Dan

True enough, lol, and thanks. Good advice.

Last edited:
Sounds like you should pick either the partitions, or the Barnes and call yourself really lucky; your rifle likes a load that can do just about anything.

Back