Wilks brothers true colors are shining through.....

Someone just called, talking about this thread and the Central Montana Hunters facebook page, saying that my Welcome to North Texas cartoon was kind of prophetic. I checked, that was back in June when I made that but came up with the idea right before the dislocation last Sept., so it took awhile to get it out of my head. Maybe I should move the North over to the west and make the star a barbed wire fence donut around a wee dot of our BLM land in the middle.

Looks like I may have a ride to the Durfee Hills between hunting seasons - probably best that way, all dressed in hunters orange, so no one mistakes me for a wolf/malamut and shoots the photographer with the tape measure claiming he was hunting. ;P

I watch elk on a regular basis deal with fencing. We put 4 strand up and lower it at the crossing points. We also sleeved the top wire in a conduit PVC pipe so they wouldn't get hung up. Calves are using it but it really is hard on them. It just makes sense to do it unless you like fixing fence a couple of times or more a year.

As winter progresses fences really takes a toll. Anyone that believes otherwise is naive or in denial.

That's a good idea with the PVC it would be great if they did a few things like that to. I just don't see them leaving any easy crossing point for the elk to come onto the public. If their point was just to let the public know were the boundary was the they would have just built a wildlife friendly fence (you know because they care about the wildlife:rolleyes:) IMO if you spend a little time in there it becomes very obvious that they want the elk to stay on their ranch.

Last edited:
That thar fence is missing a 5th wire Kat.

LOL, You know Rob, it took me a few minutes to figure out just what in the hell you were referring to. I went back and looked at Wingmans fencing pic, at the others. Then I thought you were implying the Wilks would remove a wire before it could be photographed with a tape measure. Then it finally hit, the frickin cartoon. LMAO. I may need to add another real low on the bottom. I clearly was not channeling Texas game ranching enough, guess it is not in my blood.

edit: there, it is now a genuine wildlife unfriendly 5 wire fence.

Last edited:
It's a yes or no question.

You are still talking about me and trying to decide if I work for the Wilks? You are something else. The paranoia in this thread is downright hilarious. Conspiracy theories about how I work for the Wilks and am trying to get this thread locked. Not to mention the "pure evil". AlI can say is if a person who knew nothing about this issue read this thread they would just shake their head in disbelief of all the ridiculous things that have been said.

You are still talking about me and trying to decide if I work for the Wilks? You are something else. The paranoia in this thread is downright hilarious. Conspiracy theories about how I work for the Wilks and am trying to get this thread locked. Not to mention the "pure evil". AlI can say is if a person who knew nothing about this issue read this thread they would just shake their head in disbelief of all the ridiculous things that have been said.

Hilarious.... not even capable of answering one simple question. LMBO:rolleyes:

Do you notice you repeat yourself a lot? Staring to sound like a broken record.

Im starting to think you haven't read any the pertinent info on this thread at all. Maybe you should start over and read from the first post. We can start over with a clean slate and have a good clean debate on this subject. Maybe give us a bio/background on yourself.

This has been a really interesting thread and I have enjoyed reading it and keeping up with it since it started. It is enlightening to learn about the issues, politics, concerns, and stances that people take in a location other than mine. It has also been the longest running thread since I've joined this forum. It is a shame that it is about to get locked. As an outsider looking in I want to say that I want to continue reading this and your continued discussion with him isn't solving anything. Every remark you make only causes a greater reaction from him. If you stop responding so will he...

Im starting to think you haven't read any the pertinent info on this thread at all. Maybe you should start over and read from the first post. We can start over with a clean slate and have a good clean debate on this subject. Maybe give us a bio/background on yourself.

You seem to really want to focus on me. now you want me to give you a bio/background? Hilarious. Here is a tip. Try focusing on the issue at hand instead of desperately trying to change the subject into talking about me and personal smack talk. You are simply derailing the thread by continuing to focus on me.

Hilarious.... not even capable of answering one simple question. LMBO:rolleyes:

Do you notice you repeat yourself a lot? Staring to sound like a broken record.

Everyone else figured it out a long time ago that I do not work for the Wilks. I guess you didn't. I can't believe you actually thought that was true. Reasonable people can see that the paranoia is getting the better of you guys who keep coming up with these bizarre conspiracy theories. Take off your foil hat and act reasonable for a change. People will take you a whole lot more serious if you act reasonable instead of being paranoid.

Alright guys and girls, this thread is approximately two more off-topic posts from getting locked. There is a lot of good info in this thread, and it would be a shame to cut the discussion off.

If it gets locked, we'll try to figure out some way to carry all of the info to a new thread. Also trying to get permission from Big Fin to give a 3 day account suspension to whoever the last poster is before the thread locks. You have been warned.

Last edited:
You seem to really want to focus on me. now you want me to give you a bio/background? Hilarious. Here is a tip. Try focusing on the issue at hand instead of desperately trying to change the subject into talking about me and personal smack talk. You are simply derailing the thread by continuing to focus on me.

ive read this thread with much interest. the one person on his thread who has resorted to name calling is you Road hunter. you are not very self aware of your tone and language.

Focus focus focus. Trying really hard....

Here is a big no no on public land and would normally come with major repercussions in a normal circumstance.

Posting public land as private. No way your going to claim GPS error here. This sign is approximately 300' on public property.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 873
Alright so I thought I would chime in. Please correct me if I am wrong. But I seem to remember some time ago finding a fence about 1/3 of a mile into public land that was acting as a border. When the issue was brought up it was found that unless a good amount of complaints are brought in that nothing will happen. We seemed to have done this already but nothing was found. But then it was also brought up the only way to have this fence issue fixed was to hire a surveyor and have it professionally done. I guess I fail to see how this could have already been done. Which brings me to Wingmans photo... From what I remember being told is that the agency more than likely will not hire a surveyor even for a small issue. This fence location is a much larger issue. So that would be a direction I would look into. Not that we can afford to hire one. But I wonder if there is another way to get it done. I know even the GPS maps can be off a little. I have played around enough with .shp files and metadata from Montana government websites sources to see that. But never saw anything as far off as wingmans photo would show it to be if the BLM is not yanking our chain. And maybe this has already been brought up earlier. I have missed part of the conversation .

The mapping guy I spoke with yesterday explained some GPS things I did not know (learn something everyday) that might apply to some of these fencing, sign issues. Hope that I can repeat this properly.

GPS uses a satellite for location. Some brands use a satellite system (multiple) referred to as WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System - North America). Depending on where the satellite constellation is at, you can get an accuracy up to 15 feet. But if your WAAS is behind mountains, you may only be accurate to about 100-150 ft.

But there is another satellite system called GLONASS (Global Navigation Satellite System). GLONASS is a Russian satellite-based navigation system. When combined with WAAS, GLONASS can increase consistent accuracy to 15 feet.

So my question about the GPS renderings from Wingman and others, even if they were only accurate in the worst case scenario of 100-150 feet, why, like in the post above of the 300 feet on public lands, would there be showing such a major deviation, unless perhaps they are not?

Wingman, does your Garmin use WAAS or GLONAAS?

Has anyone seen the report that BLM produced from their investigation of the Wilks fencing issue?

Kat, yes my gps had waas enabled. I have compared my glonas aviation receiver with it and to be honest it seems waas is more accurate.

I don't think the GPS systems are the issue. I get consistent readings within 15' 99% of the time. Let me say it a different way....I can go back to the same spot over and over within 15'. If anything at all is in error it would be the current mapping system. I have confirmed most BLM pins with my gps and have not found a single one off by more than 15'.

I watch elk on a regular basis deal with fencing. We put 4 strand up and lower it at the crossing points. We also sleeved the top wire in a conduit PVC pipe so they wouldn't get hung up. Calves are using it but it really is hard on them. It just makes sense to do it unless you like fixing fence a couple of times or more a year.

As winter progresses fences really takes a toll. Anyone that believes otherwise is naive or in denial.

We have done this with whitetails on the farm and the yearling deer have a time getting across we have found as many as six at one time in the spring in various areas while shed hunting. Elk are not even in the same ballpark as whitetails as far as trying to jump a high fence.

There will be pics on here soon of elk that didn't make it across that fence that you can bet on.

Now I feel strongly about private land owners rights as everyone should. But fact is if the Wilkes really cared about those elk they would have built a different type of fence and if they have caused damage to BLM property they should pay the price even though I'm sure it's no sweat off thier backs. That fence is not wildlife friendly. I am glad they are marking the property boundries that can be a plus to everyone involved but it shouldn't be done in a manner that causes the issues at hand here.

Last edited:
Kat, yes my gps had waas enabled. I have compared my glonas aviation receiver with it and to be honest it seems waas is more accurate.

I don't think the GPS systems are the issue. I get consistent readings within 15' 99% of the time. Let me say it a different way....I can go back to the same spot over and over within 15'. If anything at all is in error it would be the current mapping system. I have confirmed most BLM pins with my gps and have not found a single one off by more than 15'.

Yeah, it's not going to be an issue with the GPS. Glonaas or waas won't be off that far if they're showing a signal.

Kat- The point I failed at trying to point out earlier was the GIS data being the possible culprit, not the GPS itself. I have no idea if that's the case here or not, but it wouldn't be unheard of for it to be off that far. The distances Wingman's showing seem very extreme though, and does raise eyebrows.

No one knows either way until it's surveyed.

I don't know the exact parcel being looked at. But it could be helpful to go the Montana Cadastral Website, see what survey is associated with the creation of that parcel, or the neighboring parcel, and see if the Clerk and Recorder would send the interested parties a digital copy of the survey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back