Caribou Gear

Wild & Clear

They'll eventually completely own what they've done, but one needs to keep in mind these guys are young. I certainly handle things much differently now in my 50's than I did in my 20's or early 30's. These can't know, what they don't know. At their age there was a whole lot most of didn't know.

There's a big difference between an innocent, young, foolish mistake not resulting in harm ... and an act which is in violation of laws and regulations and does involve potential impact. I am opposed to giving a "free pass" due to ignorance and immaturity. There are those who would tell you that seems to be a societal problem and a hindrance to acceptance of personal responsibility for one's own actions.

Just for the record nowhere in any of my comments did I say anyone should get a free pass. However this was indeed one of the first videos they made and they were/are very young in terms of video production. The law has taken care of the violations. I don't see where continuing public flogging is of benefit to anyone. The laws are made to keep us inline, the punishments are there to put us back in line.

Some of the reactions I've seen on this thread really remind of a scene out of Monte Python's Holy Grail where the crowd starts cheering; "Burn Her! Burn Her!" There is some of that mob mentality entirely too prevalent on this thread...and sounds about as intelligent.

I don't doubt any of that is true. I don't know either of them from a bag of rocks..never seen one of their videos. I've heard the Montana Wild name here and there. Personally all the wannabe hunting/fishing film makers gets a little old to me..but that's just my opinion.

From an outsider looking in and reading what has been written, my problem with them as is follows:

They screwed up, flat out. Accept responsibility, ask for forgiveness, don't blame others, and move on. Their statement was pathetic, and makes them look even more pathetic. Own up to your mistakes and take your licking. Right now they are their own worse enemy, and from their pathetic statement I could care less if they never come back.

Best post on the thread...

Just for the record nowhere in any of my comments did I say anyone should get a free pass. However this was indeed one of the first videos they made and they were/are very young in terms of video production. The law has taken care of the violations. I don't see where continuing public flogging is of benefit to anyone. The laws are made to keep us inline, the punishments are there to put us back in line.

Some of the reactions I've seen on this thread really remind of a scene out of Monte Python's Holy Grail where the crowd starts cheering; "Burn Her! Burn Her!" There is some of that mob mentality entirely too prevalent on this thread...and sounds about as intelligent.

I do believe the comments would be different if the boys would own up and quit with the lame excuses.

I've been pretty silent on this and read every post. So here is what I know. I have personally hunted and fished with both Zack and Travis. Never at any given moment did either of them suggest, hint, or lean towards breaking any laws. If anything they went out of their way to keep them and promote ethical practices. They did talk about the high fee's one has to pay for filming on public land, and quite frankly, I think film makers are being unfairly gouged, but that does not give one the right to film without the proper permits. It is a law that needs to revised or eliminated altogether, but until that happens, one must play by the rules. All our hunting and fishing has been on private land that I lined up so the permit deal was not an issue. As for the bull trout, it's a pretty clear line that they crossed and I'm sure they regret it. Despite all the armchair experts on this topic, the bottom line is, it was a bad choice. Not a mistake, but a bad decision. They know it, everyone here knows, and constantly beating a dead horse over it isn't going to change anything. I hate to see their sponsors pull their support, but don't blame them for doing so. Zack and Travis are both incredibly talented with camera's and really bring a much better class of video to the outdoor world than most of the competition. It is regrettable they violated law and they are paying dearly for it. However, I for one, do not want to see them go under or out of business because of it. My hope is they learn from there experience and go on to abide by the letter of the law from here on out. Actually that isn't that hard for them to do. Despite comments to the contrary THEY ARE NOT HABITUAL in breaking Montana fish and game laws! I will continue to hunt and fish with them when the opportunity arises, and I have zero concern that they will ever put us in any kind of compromise in regards to the law. They are not bad people that finally got caught. They are two really good people that made some bad choices. I guess what really irritates me about this whole thread is how quickly so many are willing to cast stones. I've lived long enough to know that if we could all take a hard look into the lives of those casting the most stones, there are ALWAYS skeletons in their closet, ALWAYS!!!

Seriously?

They'll eventually completely own what they've done, but one needs to keep in mind these guys are young. I certainly handle things much differently now in my 50's than I did in my 20's or early 30's. These can't know, what they don't know. At their age there was a whole lot most of didn't know.

It is hard to justify spending personal time with a "true sportsman" whom then shows you they are are not.

Despite comments to the contrary THEY ARE NOT HABITUAL in breaking Montana fish and game laws!

The timeline established by this thread says otherwise.

Regardless I personally think they knew but felt it wasn't a big deal because everyone does it. Like driving 5 over on the freeway. I do it sometimes and if I get a ticket I'm not going to give the officer a hard time for doing his job well.

Hey look at the bright side. I'm sure they always wanted to be on the Outdoors channel. Maybe this will get them on an episode of Wardens.

I just got a chance to watch the video, I love the quote at the beginning, "An adventure awaited, one that didn't take thousands of miles or dollars to complete"

Big Sky - I've been wanting to give these guys some benefit of the doubt - we've all done dumb stuff when we are young. However, looking at their site they just don't seem to "get it." They are trying to pretend it didn't happen and that it wasn't a big deal or even their fault. More than anything else that pisses me off.

If it has any integrity at all, the outdoor industry needs to drop support of these guys until they start "getting it."

RobG, I understand exactly what you are saying. I'm saying they are young and I expect they will eventually get it. I expect they are getting a whole lot of tough life -lessons right now.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back