Wife's first

Mudranger1

We left Saturday after I got off work around 1 expecting to have a hour or so to at least look around and maybe get a stalk in. Well between the Denver traffic and the Wyoming iced over roads we rolled into Laramie right about dark. Got up in the morning to 14 and wind. Got us some hot breakfast and headed out. Didn't see anything for the first 25 moles which hasn't been the norm and then we found herds by the hundreds. All on private with several bordering public lands just far enough to stay safe. We pushed further north to a large chunk of BLM at the north end of the unit. Nothing except blowing snow. We come to a high spot to glass from as I try to stop do a little sliding right into the only snow drift that had crossed the road. Being from Florida and no experience with this I drive forward and manage to bury the truck up to the chassis. Two and half hours later of digging with my make shift shovel (my ice scraper) the road plower comes by. Hook up the strap and put it in reverse only to drive right out before he even gave me a tug. We drive up around the next bend to find a herd of 100+ and make a game plan. Sneak up over a knob and find them a little farther than I thought (seems to be a common theme with antelope) but within shooting distance. Tell the wife what the plan is, look back over the bush I was using as cover and they are off to the races. Dang spookiest animals I've ever hunted. By this time it is around 3 and we decide to head back south to see if any of the big herds had wandered onto public land. We find a herd that seems to be in a great location to come the top of and we head out. About the time we are going to crest the ridge we notice 4 or 5 farther up looking at us the wife can't get on them quick enough with gun sinking in the snow. A minute later the entire herd is running and I tell her to get ready because a herd that large one or two is bound to stop to see what is going on. Sure enough a few straglers toward the rear stop around 250-275 yards . Not expecting her to shoot I was trying to keep her ready and BOOM. She just happen to be on the same one I was watching in the binos and I saw she hit her. Went about 100 yards and down. 17 and wind blowing doesn't leave much for excitement time. 3 for 4 on our Wyoming tags just because my daughter decided she didn't want to shoot anything. Great times in Wyoming I have never seen so many animals as we did this trip it was crazy seeing them grouped up in such large herds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 468
That's a cold looking goat hunt. Kudos to your wife!

Great shooting little Lady! Good job getting the girls into the game. I bet you will have better digging equipment along next time :)

Sounds like a great hunt. It's always easier to get out hunting when your wife enjoys hunting too.

Sounds like a great hunt. It's always easier to get out hunting when your wife enjoys hunting too.

I agree but I have to put a major effort into scaling back my efforts when she is with me as her idea of hunting and mine can differ quite a bit. Either way I enjoy being out their with her so it makes it worth while

Did you get all of them processed by a butcher? If not, you can come down and use my grinder and we can butcher them together if you want. You should still have my number :D

Did you get all of them processed by a butcher? If not, you can come down and use my grinder and we can butcher them together if you want. You should still have my number :D

Just dropped it off about an hour ago. Might have take you up on that offer next season tho

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back