Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WI crossbows during archery season

Well license sales are up which is a good thing. I wish they would have kept crossbow license sales separate from the rest of the archery licenses. Would be interesting to see the success rate difference between archery and crossbow. Crossbow harvest went way up in 2012, which I am assuming must have been due to a much longer season.

I know, that would have been interesting for sure. I agree with you that the longer season made a difference, also, not very many people had crossbows 2 years ago, but now it seems as if everyone has one. Late summer we will sell 2 or so a day at the store, mostly people who want to be able to hunt that long season, but, that don't want to put in the time to get good with a vertical or they were older/younger and just couldnt use the vertical bow.

I know, that would have been interesting for sure. I agree with you that the longer season made a difference, also, not very many people had crossbows 2 years ago, but now it seems as if everyone has one. Late summer we will sell 2 or so a day at the store, mostly people who want to be able to hunt that long season, but, that don't want to put in the time to get good with a vertical or they were older/younger and just couldnt use the vertical bow.

That's what concerns me. A bunch of people wanting to have the long season so they buy a crossbow. Then a few years down the road deer numbers are down and season length gets adjusted. Since crossbow and archery are now one in the same season, all the archery guys end up with a shortened season. If the intent is to keep them as two truly distinct seasons and manage them separately, even several years down the road, then I'd be more open to it. I just feel like the system in place now is fine. If you are old or disabled you can use a crossbow during the archery season. I already hear people complain that archery equipment is so advanced that archers shouldnt need such a long season compared to the firearm guys. This will just make it worse.

That's what concerns me. A bunch of people wanting to have the long season so they buy a crossbow. Then a few years down the road deer numbers are down and season length gets adjusted. Since crossbow and archery are now one in the same season, all the archery guys end up with a shortened season. If the intent is to keep them as two truly distinct seasons and manage them separately, even several years down the road, then I'd be more open to it. I just feel like the system in place now is fine. If you are old or disabled you can use a crossbow during the archery season. I already hear people complain that archery equipment is so advanced that archers shouldnt need such a long season compared to the firearm guys. This will just make it worse.

I would also like to see seperate seasons for both, maybe a little overlap. I would be fine with opening now season on Sept 15th or so and then crossbow would open on Oct 1st or something like that. . .I thought that might get changed for this year but it hasn't yet. I would hope that they are watching the numbers close enough so that they would see a trend of increasing hunters and decrease in deer numbers and then set seasons by that. . .who knows. I do agree that the technology of the new stuff (bows) is unreal, but, if the gun season was that long we would be in trouble for sure as far as herd numbers. Its all about the $$$$ anyway. . .no matter what we want.

Setting seasons by deer numbers doesn't seem, IMO, to be needed in IN. With the one buck a year regulation, which I fully support, about the only thing they can/should do is alter the amount of bonus doe tags. Even at that I'm not sure that's all that important as I only know a few folks who will take more than 1 doe and they hunt in counties where they could take 8.

Crossbows may lead to a slight bump in harvest, but I cannot see that being even close to having an impact on deer populations anywhere I've hunted in Indiana. Heck, the weather on the opening weekend of gun season would have a larger impact on harvest. So I don't see crossbow harvest being enough to result in a reduced season ever in Indiana. That said, we don't get the wild swings in deer populations like many western states due to winter.

Setting seasons by deer numbers doesn't seem, IMO, to be needed in IN. With the one buck a year regulation, which I fully support, about the only thing they can/should do is alter the amount of bonus doe tags. Even at that I'm not sure that's all that important as I only know a few folks who will take more than 1 doe and they hunt in counties where they could take 8.

Crossbows may lead to a slight bump in harvest, but I cannot see that being even close to having an impact on deer populations anywhere I've hunted in Indiana. Heck, the weather on the opening weekend of gun season would have a larger impact on harvest. So I don't see crossbow harvest being enough to result in a reduced season ever in Indiana. That said, we don't get the wild swings in deer populations like many western states due to winter.

1pt, I agree. I was talking about watching the numbers in WI. . .and as I went back and read it that is not what it sounded like. I don't think here we will ever see a shortage of deer. I too support the 1 buck rule. If the goal was to get people to shoot more does, why not make it so that you had to shoot a doe or two BEFORE you could purchase a buck tag? They would make a little more money and at the same time get a few does killed. I know that wouldn't be possible for guys like me with a lifetime licence, but, for non residents or regular license it would. Why not have a special bundle for non residents? Im pretty happy overall with how it is now to be honest.

I'm pretty happy with how things are in IN as well. I'm not for the earn a buck program except for the Urban Counties. I think there it's reasonable since they get to harvest an extra buck. Outside of those areas I don't really support it. With the online/phone check in system, folks who don't really want a doe would just check in a 'phantom' doe.

I'm pretty happy with how things are in IN as well. I'm not for the earn a buck program except for the Urban Counties. I think there it's reasonable since they get to harvest an extra buck. Outside of those areas I don't really support it. With the online/phone check in system, folks who don't really want a doe would just check in a 'phantom' doe.

I'm not for the earn a buck if its an EXTRA buck. . . I really don't like the whole phone in system either. . .for the same reasons you stated. . .I think alot of things are gotten away with using this system.

I'm not advocating for an extra buck tag, but the Urban Counties already allow one to kill a 2nd buck. For that I'm fine with EAB.

I love the phone check in system. It's way more convenient for me, but I would check them in correctly either way.

About the only thing I'd like to see change in IN is for some of the draw hunts on public land areas. Though I know the odds would become worse, I'd like to see them be for more than 1 day. I'd have no problem with longer odds for a Muscatatuck permit if once I did draw I could hunt for 3-5 days.

Tried Earn a buck in WI. Wasn't such a pleasant thing. Too many people trying to get by the letter of the law by registering car kills, doe kills from different management units etc. Am resigned to the fact that CB's will be legal for archery but in 5 years I could get a CB permit anyhow.

I'm not advocating for an extra buck tag, but the Urban Counties already allow one to kill a 2nd buck. For that I'm fine with EAB.

I love the phone check in system. It's way more convenient for me, but I would check them in correctly either way.

About the only thing I'd like to see change in IN is for some of the draw hunts on public land areas. Though I know the odds would become worse, I'd like to see them be for more than 1 day. I'd have no problem with longer odds for a Muscatatuck permit if once I did draw I could hunt for 3-5 days.

I agree it is more convenient for honest guys like us, but, for the crooks/poachers I don't like it or the transport tags that Lifetime guys have. . .to easy to wad that up when you get home and process your own game. I like the draw idea too. I drew a tag for muzzeloader last year and didn't end up getting to go.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back