Caribou Gear

Bills to allow crossbows during archery season.

Wind Gypsy

Just saw that there are two bills out there currently to allow crossbows during archery season. As if having OTC rifle season during peak rut and OTC muzzleloader season allowing scopes and smokeless powder during post rut doesn’t keep the hunt quality beaten down enough. They already allow crossbows for 60+ and people with physical limitations.

Nothing against people who hunt with crossbows, just the seemingly never ending push to make hunting easier and easier and chase endless opportunity.

Crossbow manufacturers have a done a great job advertising them to the general public making people think they want to hunt with them and push for legislation, as well as most likely spending a bunch of money on lobbyists to grease the skids with legislators.

Just saw that there are two bills out there currently to allow crossbows during archery season. As if having OTC rifle season during peak rut and OTC muzzleloader season allowing scopes and smokeless powder during post rut doesn’t keep the hunt quality beaten down enough. They already allow crossbows for 60+ and people with physical limitations.

Nothing against people who hunt with crossbows, just the seemingly never ending push to make hunting easier and easier and chase endless opportunity.
I live in mn can hunt archery, slug, and muzzleloader, but can only shoot 1 deer, so it shouldn't matter how you get it.

I live in mn can hunt archery, slug, and muzzleloader, but can only shoot 1 deer, so it shouldn't matter how you get it.

With that logic, why not just have a year round rifle season?

You can only shoot 1 ANTLERED deer with a tag that has your name on it. However, you can shoot an unlimited number of antlered deer with your party’s tags throughout the seasons. You can shoot a bunch of does if you’re so inclined.

They have been trying to pass crossbows during archery season for years. I'm not a fan of crossbows. If you really want to use them you can during rifle season.

I'm all for it, I'm sure the MN deer hunters association will be against it.

They switched sides on it this year and supposedly narrowly supported it in a vote this year. They are a bit befuddling as an advocacy group. Bills magically got introduced imediately after the vote.

One thing that desperately needs reform, or even elimination, is the slug zone. We will see if they do anything this year. A lot of other states have allowed straight-wall rifles in their zones. In MN you can use a 300 Blackout "pistol" with a 20 round magazine but, you can't use a bolt action in 350 Legend that would have no more range than a slug gun or muzzleloader. That 350 Legend would have light recoil and be cheaper to shoot. Maybe people would practice more and be more accurate in the field. You can also pick up a rifle/scope combo at a good price. That sounds like a real good deal for youth hunters.

I personally like the slug zone, keeps my neighbors effective range down!! I doubt MN changes anything in the near future.

Would you have a problem with changing the law to allow straight-wall centerfire under a certain length? They have roughly the same range as modern slug guns and muzzleloaders. That is what a lot of states have done.

We started allowing crossbows in Indiana a few years back. The data shows that it didn’t change much. What has rocked our deer numbers are the bonus antler deer tags filled during the firearm season. That a firearm season during the rut.

Would you have a problem with changing the law to allow straight-wall centerfire under a certain length? They have roughly the same range as modern slug guns and muzzleloaders. That is what a lot of states have done.
I have no problem with straight wall cartridges. I currently use a smokeless muzzleloader in the slug zone. Which is 100% cheating, i have no problem killing a deer at 300+ yards with my setup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back