Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

WI crossbows during archery season

PFUNK

Not sure if there are many wisconsin folks on here, but I keep up on a midwest forum and noticed that there is a bill (assembly bill 194) that aims to allow crossbow use during the archery season. This bill will lift a current regulation that only allows crossbow use by disabled hunters and those over 65. Wondering what everyone thinks about this. I am kind of surprised that I seem to be in the minority on this issue, of which I oppose. To me they are two totally different things and should not have the same season. Back there access to land is real tough. When I was a kid we could hunt a lot of land. That isn't the case anymore as lots of the land we hunted has been lost to new owners and leasing, woodlands being turned into corn fields, and some was lost when the season structure changed and caused conflicts for our group of guys. I may be way off, but I fear landowners will be disappointed with such a change and close their doors to hunters. Some of the only land I had left to hunt was because I bowhunted. If bowhunting changes too much, I'm pretty worried even more land will be gone.

Is this bill supported by the bio's ? My home state did this many years ago, the reason given was to raise the harvest numbers by getting more people in the field.

Not sure where the biologists stand on this, as it hasn't been mentioned in anything I have read. I do know the wisconsin bowhunters association is no longer in opposition. They were originally opposed, but once they changed it so that the crossbow license would be its own license, they no longer oppose it. Hunters can purchase both a crossbow and archery license for $3 more. As far as I can tell, the crossbow season will run the same dates as regular archery and will allow the taking of the same game animals. If a hunter purchases both an archery license and crossbow license they can still only harvest one buck. Because the crossbow license will be separate from regular archery, they will be able to track crossbow statistics separately from archery. The supporters say this will help increase hunter numbers and retain those new hunters.

The supporters say this will help increase hunter numbers and retain those new hunters.

I've heard that argument made before and I don't personally believe it makes much difference.My very unsophisticated observations are that most young guys that chose to bowhunt want to shoot more ''Traditional'' gear. IMO crossbows are good for introducing kids before they are able to draw a vertical bow or make it possible for older guys to hunt a few more years. Does the G&F want more deer killed ?

Like I said my state allows them and the majority of the folks that use them are just trying to fill tags without spending the time to become proficient with a vertical bow. I guess you could say they are just trying to fill the freezer .

I would bet all I have that this will become a reality for you in Wisconsin soon. Here in Indiana they were introduced and had their own season, then last year you were able to use them during the bow season, which here, is from Oct 1 till Jan 6th. I agree with spook, its a good tool to get the younger kids and the older bowhunters out and able to harvest a deer. I'm not sure what the actual number of deer killed with a crossbow was last year, but, I know that the number of licenses for bowhunting was up and so were crossbow sales. If the goal is to get more people in the field and to kill more deer then I don't have a problem with them I guess. The upcoming season they were throwing around opening regular bow season on Sept 14th or so, for bows only. . . crossbows would be allowed on Oct 1st.

Not sure if there are many wisconsin folks on here, but I keep up on a midwest forum and noticed that there is a bill (assembly bill 194) that aims to allow crossbow use during the archery season. This bill will lift a current regulation that only allows crossbow use by disabled hunters and those over 65. Wondering what everyone thinks about this. I am kind of surprised that I seem to be in the minority on this issue, of which I oppose. To me they are two totally different things and should not have the same season. Back there access to land is real tough. When I was a kid we could hunt a lot of land. That isn't the case anymore as lots of the land we hunted has been lost to new owners and leasing, woodlands being turned into corn fields, and some was lost when the season structure changed and caused conflicts for our group of guys. I may be way off, but I fear landowners will be disappointed with such a change and close their doors to hunters. Some of the only land I had left to hunt was because I bowhunted. If bowhunting changes too much, I'm pretty worried even more land will be gone.

Thousands of acres of public land here though. I have np with it. Haven't heard of land owners that have denied access because of a possible crossbow season. Have heard arguments on both sides of the issue and I tend to think that as "hunters" we should all stick together and embrace whatever opportunities that are provided regardless of weapon type.

birddog, I agree with you, that no matter what we all need to stick together. Its different in all parts of the country, but, Its easier to embrace the changes here in the midwest because of the liberal seasons and bag limits. . .the guys west of here it would tend to be upset more I'm sure. . .and no, thats not a dig on the western guys, its just a different place, setting, seasons, game, etc.

I am from IN and heard the arguments esplode on a IN specific forum I am on when the changes RutJ talked about came. I understand how archery guys feel that it may be "cheating" or "too easy" but I agree with RJ that if the goal is to get more folks in the field and harvest more deer this is a good approach. If you are in a state where you have the one buck rule or a version of it, then the only issue comes when the vertical bow folks want first crack at the big boys. With retirement coming up for me I am all about finding ways to hunt as much as possible and am contemplating CB vs VB right now. I have never shot a bow and will have to try them out and then look at the opportunities they offer. I have to admit I am leaning toward CB because of the technique similariites to rifles ...but who knows until I give it a shot!!

I just do not want to see the two lumped together because I don't think they are the same at all. I realize this establishes a crossbow season as its own season separate from archery, but I also see the type of wording I don't like to see in this bill. Words like "if an archery season is established for x animal, then the department shall also open a crossbow season." There isn't anything overly alarming to me at this point, and if the intent is to open a crossbow season that will be managed completely independently of the archery season, I don't really have much of an issue with it. But in my opinion, once the crossbow season is established it will only be a matter of time before crossbows and bows are all together managed in the same way. And I wish they wouldnt allow you to purchase both the crossbow and archery and firearm licenses. If the season dates change and crossbow and archery arent concurrent, guys who own a crossbow, bow, and firearm can hunt all year long anyway. If the extra harvest is needed thats fine. I just see proponents of this sort of legislation using wisconsin as an example to get something similar pushed through in MN, where the dynamic may be totally different.

PFUNK, originally that is how it was set up here, they were seperate. ( I believe just to see how much interest or how many tags were sold to crossbow hunters) The following year they were lumped together, like I mentioned earlier they were thinking about opening the bow season on sept. 15th or so and then letting the crossbow guys start in on Oct. 1st. . .I checked and they did not get it done for the upcoming season here, so, all "bows" can be used starting Oct 1st until Jan. 5th with no closed days during that stretch again this year ( that was a new rule implemented last season). Crossbows are a game changer IMHO, especially for guys like myself who "trophy" hunt for the most part. . .tons less movement . . .less movement means not getting seen = better chances at that huge buck who is ultra wary. I still like the vertical bow, but, I also have a crossbow too. Its an ever changing hunting world and you can evolve or get left behind....if they would make a spear legal here and you could hunt till the end of January. . . I'd have a top of the line spear and you could find me in a tree in that late season. . .anything that lets me spend more time in the woods. . .I"M IN!! :D

Sounds like if it passes the legislature ( which it probably will ) in Wi you will be able to buy an archery license, pay about $3 more and get a crossbow license also. Both weapons could be used starting about Sept 15th when archery opens thru the gun deer season and into late season archery which closes early Jan. Could harvest total of 1 buck between the CB and regular archery license. Haven't heard anything about antlerless tags which were available in certain units last year for $2 each. Some units last year had no antlerless permits. WI Bowhunters Assoc wanted the amendment for the separate license for CB so sounds like its on the fast track to being ok'd. Don't have a CB yet, but when it gets to the point that a can't drawback a VB will surely get one.

Well according to homophobic Montanans who spoke up in the last thread on this subject they are called gaybows becasue anybody who uses one is clearly a homosexual, and propably from Texas since there are nothing but steers and queers and they don't follow the Montana hunting model.

Another year and at least 1 more state added to the list of crossbow friendly states. Just a matter of time until they are legal for everybody to use during archery season in most states if this trend continues.

You can get mad and argue abou thow they are different but in the end it propably won't change things. I'm sure some muzzy guys said the same thing about inlines, longobw/recurve guys about compounds, etc... Seems like if there is a way to use technology to shoot further with any weapon the manufacturers will make sure laws are chaged to allow the latest and greatest items to be used.

You can get mad and argue abou thow they are different but in the end it propably won't change things.

Well the alternative is not getting mad and not arguing, which would definitely do nothing to preserve the current archery season. I'd rather speak my mind and hope for the best than roll over and die I suppose. Just cuz everyone's doing it doesnt mean it's what is best for everyone else in the long run. I'd rather watch some of these other states for a few years to see how it goes than jump right on board.

ok guys, I did a little research last night......It said that 2011 was the 15th year that a crossbow could be used by non-disabled hunters. ( I had now idea. . .could this have been an error? ) It was only allowed during the late archery season. The total harvest was down 4% @ 129,018 from 2010. The late season accounted for 1% of the total harvest, which was down 1% from 2010. The total crossbow kill was 1,091 deer total. The late season harvest with any legal means has increased every year since 2006 ( may be weather, length of season, ect that could be effecting this too IMO) 2006 = 130, 2007 = 154, 2008 = 159, 2009 = 182, 2010 = 172, 2011 = 248. In 2012, the total harvest was up 6% @ 136,248. The break in hunting seasons was thrown out this year, so, bowhunting was allowed straight through (crossbow included). The total croosbow kill was 8,452 or 6% of the total in 2012. I think a lot of factors go into the whole thing, but, I do think that more people are hunting and a lot of those are using crossbows. Good or bad, it is what it is. Just thought you guys might like to see some of the stats.

ok guys, I did a little research last night......It said that 2011 was the 15th year that a crossbow could be used by non-disabled hunters. ( I had now idea. . .could this have been an error? ) It was only allowed during the late archery season. The total harvest was down 4% @ 129,018 from 2010. The late season accounted for 1% of the total harvest, which was down 1% from 2010. The total crossbow kill was 1,091 deer total. The late season harvest with any legal means has increased every year since 2006 ( may be weather, length of season, ect that could be effecting this too IMO) 2006 = 130, 2007 = 154, 2008 = 159, 2009 = 182, 2010 = 172, 2011 = 248. In 2012, the total harvest was up 6% @ 136,248. The break in hunting seasons was thrown out this year, so, bowhunting was allowed straight through (crossbow included). The total croosbow kill was 8,452 or 6% of the total in 2012. I think a lot of factors go into the whole thing, but, I do think that more people are hunting and a lot of those are using crossbows. Good or bad, it is what it is. Just thought you guys might like to see some of the stats.

Do you know what license sales have done over that time period?

2006 = Bow 26,723 shotgun 66,304 muzzy 30,247 handgun 1,386 disabled crossbow 591 reg crossbow 130.

2007 = Bow 26,187 shotgun 63,919 rifle 1,203 muzzy 30,740 handgun 1,615 disabled crossbow 609 reg cross bow 154

2008 = Bow 26,369 shotgun 68,520 rifle 1,788 muzzy 30,295 handgun 1,949 disabled crossbow 668 reg crossbow 159

2009 = Bow 28,497 shotgun 65,839 rifle 2,809 muzzy 32,745 handgun 1,932 disabled 748 reg crossbow 182

2010 = Bow 27,186 shotgun 61,920 rifle 9,125 muzzy 33,527 handgun 1,318 disabled 756, reg crossbow 172

2011 = Bow 26,715 shotgun 54,683 rifle 11,930 muzzy 33,571 handgun 1,028 disabled 843 reg crossbow 248

(the above is the number of deer killed with each weapon)

As for the License totals :
2009 = resident Archery/extra archery = 58,751 total non resident = 10,443
2010 = resident Archery/extra archery = 59,473 total non resident = 11,197
2011 = resident Archery/extra archery = 60,844 total non resident = 11,889

I think they grouped crossbows and regular bows together.

Well license sales are up which is a good thing. I wish they would have kept crossbow license sales separate from the rest of the archery licenses. Would be interesting to see the success rate difference between archery and crossbow. Crossbow harvest went way up in 2012, which I am assuming must have been due to a much longer season.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back