Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Why I change my own oil

My local one was notorious for leaving my drain plug slightly loose on my work truck. They even told me the leak was a cracked oil pan, when the dealer when to replace the pan they just tightened the plug and sent me on my way

Last edited:
As a young driver I used Jiffy Lube once. The tech came out and told me in addition to my oil change I needed to have my automatic transmission fluid changed as well. I thought it was strange considering my truck was a manual. Have been changing my own oil ever since.
And look at how black that transmission oil was. Guy was just trying to save you a costly repair.

They’re the “Home Depot” of “mechanics.” Yeah, I know that’s a lot of quotation marks. Almost no expertise, and garbage materials unless you pay up. I did it once, and the cost was insane due to wanting a quality synthetic oil.

I think their $19 oil change takes the used oil, and runs it through an old coffee filter.

I want a quality oil, filter and no up-sell BS. I do it myself, have money for beer, and today’s world declares me a MAN!!!

I needed oil change bad in my Ford 150 4x4 so I decided to use Jiffy for change since I was a suit guy at work. I got back to office, got out of truck and just happened to walk around back of truck to head into office. Yep oil blood trail right up to mine. WTF! Took off suit coat, put an old moving blanket down and reached the oil pan plug. Rattled in my hand. I tried to tighten but just spun in my hand! I called Jiffy and they said "no problem, happens all the time and we have special replacement self tapping bolt that works!" My answer was NFW! You are paying for new oil pan! Told me to go F off. I drove truck to Ford dealer few min away. I called Jiffy Corp, told them what happened and being told F off. I also told them to give my dealer a PO pay for new pan. They told me to they will do the work. Which I said NFW. So I was late for meeting with our Corp attorneys and called them. I told them the BS, they stepped in called them and strongly suggested the cheapest way out was Ford doing it. Funny how Ford got a PO in few min. NEVER AGAIN!

I don’t even really trust dealerships to work on my vehicles. The kid doing oil changes is not the highest skill level.

It’s independent shop or yours truly, unless it’s recall/warranty work.
In all honesty I don't trust anyone anywhere to perform much of anything seems like a crap shoot regardless if it's a mechanic or a plumber

I do have a mechanic at a Ram dealership that is also race guy. Really knows his stuff. I request he work on my Ram if in for lifetime warranty work. I pop him a tip whenever I can and it pays since he has told me of few things to watch since truck has 194K on it. And yes still has FC lifetime drivetrain warranty for 2009 Ram 2500 4x4!

They’re the “Home Depot” of “mechanics.” Yeah, I know that’s a lot of quotation marks. Almost no expertise, and garbage materials unless you pay up. I did it once, and the cost was insane due to wanting a quality synthetic oil.

I think their $19 oil change takes the used oil, and runs it through an old coffee filter.

I want a quality oil, filter and no up-sell BS. I do it myself, have money for beer, and today’s world declares me a MAN!!!
100%

I was putting like 30,000 a year on mine for a while that’s a lot of beer money saved.

I worked at jiffy lube for a year in college. For a college kid it wasn't the best job but it was enough hours a week to pay for rent and food and it beat working in fast food. I don't know if that specific store had some kind of re-entry program or what but everyone but the manager and the few college kids working there were all fresh out of prison. It was a pretty shady bunch of characters that did some pretty low things trying to get an upsell.

As bad as jiffy lube was, the things I used to see from cars that normally got serviced at Walmart service centers blew my mind. Often times I ran into drainplugs that had been overtightened so badly that the threads stripped when you snugged up the drain plug. Putting oil filters on with dry gaskets were common coming from Walmart service centers as well.

Moral of the story, always change your own oil. The odds of the person doing it who actually cares is a rarity.

Last edited:
I worked at jiffy lube for a year in college. For a college kid it wasn't the best job but it was enough hours a week to pay for rent and food and it beat working in fast food. I don't know if that specific store had some kind of re-entry program or what but everyone but the manager and the few college kids working there were all fresh out of prison. It was a pretty shady bunch of characters that did some pretty low things trying to get an upsell.

As bad as jiffy lube was, the things I used to see from cars that normally got serviced at Walmart service centers blew my mind. Often times I ran into drainplugs that had been overtightened do badly that the threads stripped when you snugged up the drain plug. Putting oil filters on with dry gaskets were common coming from Walmart service centers as well.

Moral of the story, always change your own oil. The odds of the person doing it who actually cares is a rarity.
There was this dude at BigOTires in Aurora who would tell every customer that came in that their vehicle’s struts were leaking and that they needed new ones.

He was hilariously bold about it, I once watched him tell the same thing to 5 customers in a row.

I think he got fired after a year or two, always struck me as a funny thing to up sell.

There was this dude at BigOTires in Aurora who would tell every customer that came in that their vehicle’s struts were leaking and that they needed new ones.

He was hilariously bold about it, I once watched him tell the same thing to 5 customers in a row.

I think he got fired after a year or two, always struck me as a funny thing to up sell.

Struts are expensive and a ton of people aren’t even sure what they are… one of the reason my wife fell for me was how I dealt with our local Subaru Dealer right when we started dating. Her cat had 20k on it and she mentioned her maintenance just cost her $1200. I was pissed, but reviewed the bill. I called them and was “stern,” as my daughter would say. It took talking to the Manager, and even Subaru. I ended up getting half refunded after sharing my lawyers name, and I still slayed them on Google and Yelp.

Struts are expensive and a ton of people aren’t even sure what they are… one of the reason my wife fell for me was how I dealt with our local Subaru Dealer right when we started dating. Her cat had 20k on it and she mentioned her maintenance just cost her $1200. I was pissed, but reviewed the bill. I called them and was “stern,” as my daughter would say. It took talking to the Manager, and even Subaru. I ended up getting half refunded after sharing my lawyers name, and I still slayed them on Google and Yelp.
Cat maintenance ain't cheap . . .

Never understood why a worker would try to screw people over. Owner giving them a cut?
Some places give a commission for upsells. At jiffy lube corporate required the store to have a certain ticket average per vehicle serviced, the price was more than just the average oil change price so they pushed people to replace wipers, air filters , upgrade to synthetic etc.

Last edited:
Back