Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Whitetail shanks

BillDoe708

I kept the shank meat separate from the whitetail does I shot this fall. What is everyone's favorite way to cook them?

Couple other threads on this already. I've done several things with them. Just a few days ago I did a couple in the slow cooker and shredded them and used the broth to make venison vegetable soup.

I’ve never had them a bad way. I like to braise them with onions and mushrooms. thicken the liquid to make a gravy. Serve it over some mashed potatoes.

A crock pot will work, but cast iron Dutch oven does take it up a notch.

I like to cut the bone to expose marrow before braising. It adds to that buttery gooey rich goodness.

Do you just a simple brine? I’ve never used a brine on shanks before, but it can’t hurt!
Exactly! Cant hurt. Simple brine works fine. I usually add matching herbs and spices to whatever dish Im cooking. For shanks - salt, onion/garlic powder, pepper at a minimum. Herbs I add could be parsley, thyme, or rosemary. Im becoming obsessed with the brine/smoke/braise combo.

I've used Hank's and another very similar recipe, very tasty. I've done them both bone in whole and sawed into chunks. I vastly prefer exposing the marrow for it to melt into the braising liquid. If not cutting bone I'd just debone and crock-pot them personally, then shred and crisp carnitas style.

I de-boned the shanks from my blacktail and just cooked it in the instant pot. It tasted just like roast beef, and shredded extremely easily. I used it to make tacos, and used the broth to make French onion soup.

I’ve never had them a bad way. I like to braise them with onions and mushrooms. thicken the liquid to make a gravy. Serve it over some mashed potatoes.

I like to cut the bone to expose marrow before braising. It adds to that buttery gooey rich goodness.
Damnit @Gellar you got me all misty eyed reading that.

I give those leather tough shanks to my buddy. He slow cooks them for about a week then eats the shredded meat over rice.
Sometimes I chunk the shanks up real small and mix in with my grind.

Listen to this man, these things make a big difference!

This recipe from Meateater is one of the best ones I've tried for shanks as well, it's REALLY good, if you like stuff a little spicy and don't mind more hands-on prep, if you can't figure it out or find it online let me know and I'll post it:

I smoked some shanks this morning and they are in the crack pot now. My intention is to shred it all and then finish it 2 or 3 ways for my lunch this week.

Right now I’m thinking adding broccoli for shank and broccoli over rice, shank and mushrooms over some potatoes, and maybe something Mexican.

Insta pot osso bucco. Works great for wild turkey thighs also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back