Which spotting scope

angels2011

I would like some spotting scope reviews. I am looking for a new one and I'm not going to spend much over 500.

Any helpful reviews would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

you need to be more specific, like 60mm or 80mm being the biggest thing.

60mm is probably all I'll get in my price range. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, it's mostly spotting a couple/three miles from the truck. I use my binos for everything in the field.

I'm looking into getting a new spotting scope as well. From what I've researched and found, NIKON seems to be the best and most popular brand in that $500 range. Ive been watching them on Cabelas for about 3 months, waiting for them to go on sale but no joy so far.
Anybody have a NIKON? If so, how do you like it?

schmalts sells some that several members here have and I have heard some pretty good things about. I plan on picking one up myself in the next couple of months.

If $500.00 is your max you may want to try a Vortex. A friend has one and it gets the job done.

CABugle

I highly recommend these spotting scopes. http://www.theronoptics.com/ For the money you want to spend I don't think you'll get a better quality to price ratio and I know you won't get a better warrenty.

I used the 15-45X60mm angled on a mountain goat hunt, an antelope hunt, and two bighorn sheep hunts and was very pleased with the performance.

Attachments

• Delberts 2010 Goat 138.jpg
    Delberts 2010 Goat 138.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 539
  • DJ's sheep hunt 001.jpg
    DJ's sheep hunt 001.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 550
  • Delberts 2010 Goat 043.jpg
    Delberts 2010 Goat 043.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 549
I have a Pentax PF-65ED.

You buy the body:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/pentax-pf-65ed-ii-spottingscope-straight.html

And then choose an eyepiece. The zoom eyepiece is another $270, which might be pushing your spending limit a bit, but it is a great scope.

I bought one after looking around quite a bit. What finally sold me was a review (an actual review, not just some internet post) by a birdwatching site. They spoke quite highly of it.

thanks for the help everyone, i guess there are 80mm scopes out there for around my price range i just hadn't seen any when looking at Nikon and Leupold.

I don't own one, but have had a few people that do say they really like theirs. Very affordable..

http://www.alpenoptics.com/html/spotting_scopes_3.html

I can get the Leupold compact GR 15-30 X 50 for $300 new so even though I prefer an angled scope I think this would be a great addition to my pack.

I'm looking into getting a new spotting scope as well. From what I've researched and found, NIKON seems to be the best and most popular brand in that $500 range. Ive been watching them on Cabelas for about 3 months, waiting for them to go on sale but no joy so far.
Anybody have a NIKON? If so, how do you like it?

my buddy picked up a Nikon for a Mt Goat hunt and he liked it a lot. That said, he does not have experience with the Swaros. We used it antelope hunting last year and it kept the focus pretty well when zoomed in to the max. His was an 80 mm.

I use the Nikon 20 x 60 Field Scope...really like it, great digiscoping ability and good glass. Side by side with the Swaro the Nikon it is a step down...okay maybe 3 steps down but at a 1/4 the price. What I don't like about it is the fine adjustment is 1/2 covered when the you use the protective cover. Other than that I have not found a down side other than the weight.

Bambi, you ever have trouble with your Minox?

Last edited:
Another vote for the Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50. Had one and went up to the 12-40x60. Both are great scopes. I guess you need to ask yourself if you are going to be packing it or not. Leupold is the most compact that I have found.

I pick up a 15-45 x 60 from Schmalts and I am quite impressed. Not to mention great customer service and he will answer all you questions. :D

Glad you like it Classic35, guys are shocked at what you can get for that money. For anyone looking for a Zeiss 65MM I can get one more Zeiss DIASCOPE 65MM FL T STRAIGHT for an unreal price..... of course you have to PM me because it is below minimum policy but you may be shocked at the price. only PM if serious please.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back