MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Which 50-inch side-by-side?

davinski

Any preferences or things to look for in a smaller 2-seater that fits the 50-inch bill? I've always been a die hard Honda fan for my ATVs over the past 30 years. I see more Polarises (Polari?) than anything but a few Can-Ams too in UTVs. You all have any preferences, recommendations, or horror stories? It will be used for a lot of western CO trails meaning some mud but lots of rocks, steep trails, cold starts, and a lot of trailering. I tend to carry way more crap around than I actually need and probably won't be breaking that habit any time soon so that's a factor as well. Not to mention it will hopefully be carrying a fair number of elk quarters. Thanks.

The Hondas are worth a huge premium around me. Guys love them and typically sell for for near new even with a ton of miles. My dad is on wait lists at two dealers with no real word on when he will ever get one. They aren’t the fastest, flashiest, etc but they just work. I’m pretty anti Polaris as their stuff is just built weird and my experience has been lots of maintenance. I don’t know much about the can ams as the only ones I see are the giant ones

No help with the 50"er, i have a pioneer1000 which is a amazing machine and atvs for sub 50" trails as i dont fit in a sub 50 SxS. I will offer the advice of listen to whatever you choose before you buy. i am not sure if its the polaris or canam (maybe both) but all the time i hear these loud machines coming only to see a tiny SxS on trail, volume is not something i value in my machines.

Pioneer 520 hard to find. Plenty 500s available. I've been waiting for them to make some, but I'm about to hit the easy button for Mule SX.

Bought a Polaris 570. Had atvs in the past, yamaha, Kawasaki. Bought the Polaris mainly due to the size as we use them for restoration, hang a seeder, but been out in Co and South Dakota. Not sure if its just WI, but couldn't use the atv for two anymore.
As far as maintenance, no matter what you buy, if you don't maintain, you'll have junk.

I bought a Pioneer 520 last year. It was an awesome machine. Way cheaper and supposed to be a lot more reliable than a Polaris.

It hauled out a mountain goat and a moose last year, and then I flipped it for a profit and bought a new pickup. I definitely miss having it around.

One thing that did suck, is we have a ton of local trails that are 50" restricted, but the Pioneer wouldn't fit around the gate due to its length or roll cage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Pioneer 520 last year. It was an awesome machine. Way cheaper and supposed to be a lot more reliable than a Polaris.

It hauled out a mountain goat and a moose last year, and then I flipped it for a profit and bought a new pickup. I definitely miss having it around.

One thing that did suck, is we have a ton of local trails that are 50" restricted, but the Pioneer wouldn't fit around the gate do to its length or roll cage.

My father has a pioneer and basically uses it as his daily driver. The BLM north of Clancy has a very large 50" trail system, that he rides all the time. Interesting yours didn't and that does stink. I think his is a 2017, and I believe recently went over 10,000 miles with nothing but oil changes, brakes, and tires.

1685729355185.png

I've had a Polaris RZR 570 for 8 years now. It has done everything ever asked of it and more without any issues.

I've looked at the Pioneer 520's with the dump bed thinking that might be worth the upgrade but have been a little gun shy because of the dramatic difference in the suspension travel.IMG_5203.jpegIMG_5217.jpegIMG_8488.jpeg

Glad to see all the positive reviews on the Honda, pretty sure that'll be my next one. Can't justify the money at the moment.

So for those that have the Pioneer 520 is the limited suspension travel a big deal? 5.8" and 5.9" travel for the Honda vs. 9" and 9.5" for the Rzr. I've always thought that suspension travel usually correlates out pretty closely with ride comfort on bouncy trails.

Another difference that concerns me is the 4.1 gallon fuel tank vs. the 7.25 gallon fuel tank on the Rzr. I know I've gone nearly 150 miles on a tank of gas in my Rzr on a long trail ride that would have required carrying some fuel on the Honda I think.

Also, is Cushman just a terrible driver or is the Pioneer 520 that easy to tip over? ;)

So for those that have the Pioneer 520 is the limited suspension travel a big deal? 5.8" and 5.9" travel for the Honda vs. 9" and 9.5" for the Rzr. I've always thought that suspension travel usually correlates out pretty closely with ride comfort on bouncy trails.

Another difference that concerns me is the 4.1 gallon fuel tank vs. the 7.25 gallon fuel tank on the Rzr. I know I've gone nearly 150 miles on a tank of gas in my Rzr on a long trail ride that would have required carrying some fuel on the Honda I think.

Also, is Cushman just a terrible driver or is the Pioneer 520 that easy to tip over? ;)

The 500/520 are definitely more for utility than sport. It was comfortable on roads and trails, but I wouldn't be hitting any sweet jumps with it. I'm sure the Razr's are way funner to drive.

I never had issues with tank size, but I did also keep a Jerry can in the bed.

It was a little tippy. John's the only one that did lay it over, but I came close a few times. I don't know if it's ant worse than any of the other 50"ers though.

On the pioneer, it really is 5.2 because there’s a 1.1 gallon reserve tank. I know that is still less than the rzr.

My little brother had a trail rzr for many years that we had a ton of fun in. It was capable of going places that my dad‘s Pioneer was not. A big part of that was the fact that the rzr had a couple inches more ground clearance.

A stock Honda pioneer 520 is 9600 bucks, which is about 5000 less than a Rzr trail. You could put that 5000 into upgrades on your pioneer, and have a good rig that’s, as the Honda guys say, all shaft and no rubber.

If money is not an object, I think a strong case could be made for the rzr as a more capable machine though I don’t think it will be more reliable.

On the pioneer, it really is 5.2 because there’s a 1.1 gallon reserve tank. I know that is still less than the rzr.

My little brother had a trail rzr for many years that we had a ton of fun in. It was capable of going places that my dad‘s Pioneer was not. A big part of that was the fact that the rzr had a couple inches more ground clearance.

A stock Honda pioneer 520 is 9600 bucks, which is about 5000 less than a Rzr trail. You could put that 5000 into upgrades on your pioneer, and have a good rig that’s, as the Honda guys say, all shaft and no rubber.

If money is not an object, I think a strong case could be made for the rzr as a more capable machine though I don’t think it will be more reliable.
Not sure where you are getting your pricing. MSRP on the Pioneer 520 is $9,999. MSRP on the RZR 570 trail width is $10,599.

You might be thinking about the RZR 900 trail machine?

Thanks, all. That's exactly the conversation I was hoping for. As much as it pains me to put Honda behind Polaris and Can Am, I don't think those 520's will work on some of the gnarly trails we climb. Plus the Hondas just aren't available used or new around me, sounds like big red is still facing logistical strife. I'm not above a road trip but I'd prefer to at least stick to a state I touch. Lots of new CFMoto UTV's around but I don't really have a warm fuzzy about the brand. I'm kind of looking at either the Rzr 750 or the Can Am Trail 1000, they're both 75 hp. Rzr has a shorter wheelbase and can do tighter turns. Can Am is a bit longer w/b and is a bit more comfortable to sit in...my ulterior motive is to take the boss lady along more often. Rzr does have infinitely more aftermarket parts, rack options, all that and should high center less often with the shorter wheelbase. But a buddy of mine really likes the Can Am and they're a tad quieter than the Rzr. There are a few of each, used, available around me. Decisions, decisions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back