Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Which 243 Bullet??

Horn Seeker

I use the Barnes TSX's in everything else, but they are only offered in 85's for the 243. Just got my daughter a 243 and need to work up a load. Personally, I think that 85 Barnes is probably great, but I get a lot of folks saying, "Oh, I'd sure stick with the 100's or the 110's" or whatever...

Any of you got experience with the 85's? With a well placed shot... is that 85 going to do ok for elk? Again...I think it will, but sure like to get reinforcement from someone who's "been there done that"..

Thanks

No experience with Barnes, but if 'junk' bullets can kill elk, the TSX can do it just as well.

I killed probably 25 deer and a dozen antelope with either a Seirra 80sp, or 87gr V-max. I killed 2 elk, one bull one cow with the 100gr Sierra SPBT. A neighbor friend of ours shot 5-6 elk with her 243 with factory remington 100gr bullets. I pressume Core Lokts, but don't recall.

You're splitting hairs between a 100 and 85 grain bullet in a 243. One isn't going to shoot any flatter than the other, energy is negligble and I doubt a 100gr lead bullet would penitrate any better than the TSX, probably less. Make a good shot on a broadside animal and avoid the shoulder at all costs. Of the elk I've seen shot with a 243, only one dropped at the shot (neck shot at 35 yards), most stood for a bit before falling over.

Good luck on your hunt.

If it wasn't barnes, i would go heavier but............i shot the barnes in my .243. I didn't shoot any elk though. For what its worth, ive seen three shot with barnes 100 grain bullets in 25 calibler though.....all three complete pass throughs.

Never been a big fan of small caliber rounds. A 7mm has been my 'light' size, but when it comes to the question of bullet choice, it really comes down to enegry delivered on target, terminal end weight retention and expansion.

A bullet of X weight VS another of Y weight are only comparable when all three factors are taken into consideration.

In reality, I can't tell much difference in my 120 TSX loads and my 150 Nosler BT"s, from my 7mm/08, on field 'getter done'. I use each for different reason, in different field conditions.

Just make a decision as to which one to use that best fulfills all three and then GO FOR IT !!

I agree Gunner...
Funny, I was talking to a guy who shoots an 06' like I do. I asked him what bullet he uses. He says, "180 grainers" I say, "cool, I shoot those 168's" and he responds..."I wont go under 180, there's a lot of big bears in the country I hunt"....

Like that bear is going to feel that extra 12 grains.....

I agree Gunner...
Funny, I was talking to a guy who shoots an 06' like I do. I asked him what bullet he uses. He says, "180 grainers" I say, "cool, I shoot those 168's" and he responds..."I wont go under 180, there's a lot of big bears in the country I hunt"....

Like that bear is going to feel that extra 12 grains.....

I know a guy who hunts all over the Gallatin for elk with a .243. He's killed about 30 or so elk with it and isn't afraid to hunt by himself with grizzlies around and that little gun.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back