PEAX Equipment

Where ???

Yeah, but I gotta have those pesky cattle eat here every once in a while & they throw the elk out of sync. Otherwise it's $500 a yr....was paying $8500 in CA before I left.
My trip to get groceries today & maybe a stop @ DQ will cost in gas&time. An hour to a supermarket,maybe see a dozen vehicles,couple elk & antelope here & there.....Catron county is a busy place.

NW NM means Farmington/Bloomfield & oil industry in the mix of NM wild. Aztec is a nice little town. Cortez,CO & Mesa Verde just over the border.
I looked @ retiring in UT some years ago. Hunted & vacationed there a bunch over the years.
NM is just way cheaper to live for me. It's also where I have traveled too since I was a kid. Still the wild west outside of a half dozen towns.
I was a builder for many years,but there was just not enough of the work I do to make it pencil out before. The good Park Ranger job was not here either,for me. But my little pension & SS lets me live, in NM.
I'd still be working or have to work 2 jobs to retire in CA....maybe only one job if I had moved to UT.
Good luck on your life chance/choice.

As has been mentioned, there is more to consider than just the hunting. But I guess you did ask on a hunting forum ;), so I assume your sane enough to be personally weighing the other options. Keep schools, taxes, healthcare, social scene, distance to family/friends, etc in your mind when deciding.

From a hunting perspective, I'd choose NM hands down. It's my favorite state I've ever hunted in. With a smart application strategy, you should have a handful of fun hunts every year with a few incredible tags mixed in here and there. In Utah you'll have to get in line.

I would look at the landscape and culture. Several people have had insights there. I have only traveled through both areas. I think both are going to be hot, dry, semiarid, shrubby, sagey. Utah probably has more diverse topography in the immediate vicinity. The immediate vicinity in NM may be a little bleak. It has some farm country. But, there is some awesome areas just to the north and east. Both are very diverse states and would have great hunting opportunities. Either way it will be a culture shock from Illinois.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back