Caribou Gear Tarp

Where are all the fly fisherman

Tobey,
I love fly fishing, thats all I used to do until I moved to AZ.Every once in the while I will take out the fly rod for bass.I'm going up for smallies this weekend. one of the best fish I have ever caught in my life.

But for trout I wouldnt even waste my time here. I kinda got spoiled fishing in washington, oregon and idaho. Besides belive it or not what we are using for bait right now(winter time) is a 9"-13" trout imitation lure to catch bass on. Just wait for the stocking truck to dump the trout and toss one of these lures in and the big bass (7lbs-14lbs) will nail them almost every time.

Delw

Delw

That is a popular pattern for stripers in Oklahoma and Beaver lake in Arkansas. Some of the striper fisherman in Ok. decided if the lure was good, the real thing would be great. Prior to going striper fishing they will go a few miles up the Illinois river below Tenkiller dam and catch a limit of trout then head for the stripers, the trout are all stocked in the river, no natural spawn. The trout fishermen started throwing a snot slinger over this but the wildlife department said it was legal since there was not a regulation that said it wasn't.

You brought back some fond memories. When I was living in Yuma, AZ many years ago the people I hung out with would go out cat fishing on the canals. I got bored with that real fast so I started taking my fly rod and my trout flies (moved to Yuma from Wyoming) and while they sat on the bank waiting for a catfish to take a chicken liver, I would be catching bluegills with flies. What a kick! It was amazing how many people would stop and watch then ask me what kind of a fishing pole that was. They hadn't seen fly rods in that part of the country. They were about as popular as snow shovels.

------------------
cros_anm.gif

ditto, i too love to fish for panfish with a flyrod!!! we also flyfish for redfish and speckled sea trout! a 2pound red on a five or six weight rod is a hoot!!!
biggrin.gif

deacon, you should see the looks i get around here ?!?!?!?! whats wrong with your reel they say ???? why cant you cast that thing! how come you pull the line in with
your hand instead of reeling it in!!!
is that one them new fiberglass cane poles!!! hehehehe
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

[This message has been edited by DKO (edited 02-14-2001).]

Fly fishing up this way is a way of life.You get laughed at if you bring a spinning real.Most of the brooks streams and rivers are fly fishing only.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back