Caribou Gear

When do you start packing for hunt?

huntin' lunatic

November 1st is closing in and I have been getting ready since last November when I booked our hunt. Seems like that's all I can think about. Ordering necessary things from our outfitters list and such. We will be allowed three 60 lb bags each. We have to bring stove, splitting maul, chairs, and all kitchen supplies. My son is coming in this weekend so we will go over our lists and see what we are missing. Hopefully, this is just our first hunt out of many.
But my main question is, when do y'all start washing clothes, packing them in scent free bags, etc etc.. We will be leaving Oct 29th and heading up the mountain on the 31st. Want everything bagged and weighed before we leave. Any tips would be so welcomed. 73 more days!

I'm oy a few weeks away from a DIY hunt and I've bought a lot of the stuff I need to buy but I haven't even started washing and packing clothes and gear.

I'm a big procrastinator though. I'll probably start pretty quick.

day after last day of previous season

tips; watch what your packing in, bags and bins can take up a lot of your allowed weight. ziplock makes XXXL bags that i pack all my clean scent free clothes into and roll up tight to get air out then pack into lightweight travel bags and stay dry whole time in them. you dont need as many clothes as you think if you take the right ones, a little powder soap goes a long ways for creek laundry if you must.

Last edited:
I'll make a list of what I think I need about a month out, so I have time to buy stuff if I need to. I don't actually pack anything until about 2-3 days before I leave, since I use a lot of my stuff around home too.

. I'm a big procrastinator though. I'll probably start pretty quick.

Haha me too. You know what they say…. Procrastination is like Masturbation……feels good when you're doing it…but in the end you are only screwing yourself! One of these days I will learn. I have done better this time as almost all of the gear is ready. Just need a few odds and ends. I also agree on the super large zip lock bags. Great to keep gear scent free and then can be used (hopefully) to keep meat in once you get it back to camp if you are successful. Best of luck this fall, everyone! Be safe!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back