Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What unit for Arizona Antelope 2015

billy-bob8

OK, So the holidays are over and the new year blooms with dreams of what is in store for the up coming fall hunting seasons.
Here is my question for the masses. I have amassed 21 bonus points for the State of Arizona Pronghorn Antelope draw.
If you were in my shoes what unit would you put in for? Keep in mind I am no "SPRING CHICKEN" and this is more then likely be my last Premium Draw in Az for Antelope.
I am more of a get out and get after it guy and driving the roads looking for a buck is not my thing, and fighting the crowds don't interest me.
So what would you do with this almost guaranteed draw???

I know nothing about the Arizona draw system but if you have to fight crowds with 21 bonus pts then there is a problem lol

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you're probably going to fight crowds in any of the good units in Arizona. If you're trying to hunt for a trophy antelope (and I would hope you were after 21 years) you're going to be competing with everyone in the unit. A lot of hunters, because of the short supply and long waits, hire guides. These guides scout quite a bit and find the best bucks. On opening day, if you have located one of the top 5-10 bucks in the unit, you can bet some of these other guides and hunters have located them too. As an example - I've guided at least one hunter in Unit 10 every year from 2006 to 2013. Every single year there was AT LEAST one other hunter stalking the same buck I was stalking on opening day.

Also, there's a good chance that if you apply for the best units that you will probably not draw a tag with only 21 points. This won't be enough points to put you in the bonus pass pool in units like 10, 9, 5B, etc. According to the Hunters Trailhead draw info you have about a 2.5% chance of drawing Unit 10. There were still 82 people with 21/22 points last year who put in for Unit 10 and didn't draw. If those same people apply for Unit 10 they'll eat up the 20 bonus tags and then everyone else will be thrown into the random draw. You'll still have a better shot than someone with only 1 point, but it isn't a huge boost.

As for what unit to apply for - I think Unit 10 is probably one of your best options. In the event that you did draw, the unit is big enough that you might be able to dig up a good buck where few other hunters would find you. Unfortunately, most of the big bucks are where the crowds are.

2016 will see a reduction of the NR cap down to 5% for the Bonus Pass with the remaining 5% going to the 1-2 Pass. Don't wait too long or you'll be looking at 30+ points.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back