What should we hunt and film?

I tape a lot of the Outdoors shows, and usually just skim the titles to see what they're hunting and then decide if I want to watch the show. I probably don't watch 75% of what I tape, however, I watch every one of your shows as well as the repeats. Reason? Because you go on hunts that don't require 15 points to draw as they're places that I could probably go within 2 years of applying, or the same year due to the number of tags issued. Stick to your plan with this type of show. I agree with the others, I really like seeing the walk in hunts like Kansas, SD, etc. I also enjoy the helicopter hunts as well. Two hunts really struck a cord with me though - the AZ hunt where you took some guy along that never hunted elk before, and the hunts with your Uncle and your son. The only hunts I would like to see in the future - high country mule deer (just something about that country that makes me dream), and seeing you have "one of us regulars" hunt with you occasionally. One other suggestion, (and if you already do it I'm sorry for suggesting), but tell us how you ended up picking a particular unit to apply in. Otherwise, congrats on a fantastic show and if you're ever out in PA, I'd love to meet up with you! Oh, I'll definitely go to the Sportsmans Channel website and sing your praise too.

Jay

A Jefferson County , Kansas , whitetail hunt , if you can draw the tag. Some of those big bucks are rarely seen and die of old age. The habitat explains why.

I filled out the form for The Sportsman Channel and emailed the contacts given. I really appreciate what you do. Its a great show.

I would love to see you do a high-elevation archery muley hunt, similar to what you do in NV but somewhere further north (MT, ID). I think it is arguably the most difficult type of hunting and the scenery is spectacular.

Thanks again.

Kodiak Alaska blacktail hunt, no boat or lodge. Just a tent and your feet, it would make for a great film...lots do wildlife to film and deer to hunt, double bonus.

Kodiak Alaska blacktail hunt, no boat or lodge. Just a tent and your feet, it would make for a great film...lots do wildlife to film and deer to hunt, double bonus.

Ditto. I've been wanting to do a sitka blacktail hunt on Kodiak that way myself. I'd love to see a FT episode about it!

For 2014

I was real happy to see you doing the hunt last season with your MN mentors.

How about late season spot and stalk or still hunting Whitetails in NW Montana or Northern Idaho.

I'm getting tired of the Midwest folks saying how tough it is to treestand hunt WT's. Let's show 'em how we do it out West, on the ground.

I like the idea someone brought up about an AK, non-res, unguided slam. You already have the black bear.

I tape a lot of the Outdoors shows, and usually just skim the titles to see what they're hunting and then decide if I want to watch the show. I probably don't watch 75% of what I tape, however, I watch every one of your shows as well as the repeats. Reason? Because you go on hunts that don't require 15 points to draw as they're places that I could probably go within 2 years of applying, or the same year due to the number of tags issued. Stick to your plan with this type of show. I agree with the others, I really like seeing the walk in hunts like Kansas, SD, etc. I also enjoy the helicopter hunts as well. Two hunts really struck a cord with me though - the AZ hunt where you took some guy along that never hunted elk before, and the hunts with your Uncle and your son. The only hunts I would like to see in the future - high country mule deer (just something about that country that makes me dream), and seeing you have "one of us regulars" hunt with you occasionally. One other suggestion, (and if you already do it I'm sorry for suggesting), but tell us how you ended up picking a particular unit to apply in. Otherwise, congrats on a fantastic show and if you're ever out in PA, I'd love to meet up with you! Oh, I'll definitely go to the Sportsmans Channel website and sing your praise too.

Jay

Yeah, I like that one too :D

Have you thought about hunting archery Roosevelt elk in Washington or Oregon. Hunting in the "jungle" is not only a hunting challenge, but a filming challenge as well. Roosevelt elk are considered one of the hardest north american species to hunt just because of the terrain and cover. we call them the ghosts of the forest. Second choice would be chasing elk in the cloud Peak Wilderness of Wyoming or the Wind River Range.

Have you thought about hunting archery Roosevelt elk in Washington or Oregon. Hunting in the "jungle" is not only a hunting challenge, but a filming challenge as well.

^^That. The filming difficulties is why you don't see any/many of these hunts on TV. I dearly want to go and do it. But, given the thick jungle and the difficulty getting any decent footage, I will probably go without cameras.

Roosevelt elk are considered one of the hardest north american species to hunt just because of the terrain and cover. we call them the ghosts of the forest. Second choice would be chasing elk in the cloud Peak Wilderness of Wyoming or the Wind River Range.

We can't get a filming permit for that wilderness area. I know you are thinking, "Wait, I see a others shows filming there, in the Thoroughfare, in the other Wyoming wilderness areas."

Yup, you do. These just aren't getting filming permits. Not a chance I am willing to take.

In addition, the WY wilderness law that restricts Non-residents in wilderness areas would require I have a WY resident be my "guide."

^^That. The filming difficulties is why you don't see any/many of these hunts on TV. I dearly want to go and do it. But, given the thick jungle and the difficulty getting any decent footage, I will probably go without cameras.

We can't get a filming permit for that wilderness area. I know you are thinking, "Wait, I see a others shows filming there, in the Thoroughfare, in the other Wyoming wilderness areas."

Yup, you do. These just aren't getting filming permits. Not a chance I am willing to take.

In addition, the WY wilderness law that restricts Non-residents in wilderness areas would require I have a WY resident be my "guide."

Valid points. having grown up in the "jungle", it can be done, its just difficult especially archery. but a good challenge! I was un-aware of the wilderness filming permit issues. what a bummer. so much vast country to be captured and seen, or perhaps its better off not publicly presented..more land for us :)

Spot and stalk spring black bear with a bow would be awesome. Notching a tag would no doubt be difficult, but probably a lot easier to get good footage than another archery elk hunt. Don't get me wrong, I love bugling bulls. But even if you don't get one the up close footage of predators is the real treat. Bears are intriguing to me because their behavior is really interesting to watch and I think it connects with a large audience, as many states do have opportunities for bears, I think more than people realize.

OTC caribou in AK would be awesome, you could get 2 tags as well and reasonably priced.

OTC rut rifle hunt for bulls in the middle fork zone in Idaho. Incredible country and you could have 5 tags in your pocket at the same time.

And another vote for mountain whitetails. OTC, rut hunt with a rifle where you can shoot does as well. You can also put in for the extra doe tags that are easy to draw as well if you want to take 2-3 critters home.

-

That'd be a good one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back