Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What rite to get.

Dakota79

I'm looking at getting a new rifle and here is the situation.

I am in a wheelchair and paralyzed from the neck down and on a ventilator. I have a shooting rig that connects to my wheelchair that I can steer with a joystick using my chin and when I am ready to shoot I suck on a straw that is connected to a solenoid and that pulls the trigger.

A metal plate goes under my cousin and then a pipe comes up between my legs and on top of that I connect the shooting rig. It would be comparable to a lead sled. On top of that sits my rifle.

Hopefully that gives you some kind of mental image of the whole set up.

Once everything is attached there is a lot of play and it is quite wobbly. Sure when I fire everything is nice and steady but the recoil of the rifle sure shakes the shit out the shooting rig and even my wheelchair.

Right now I am shooting a .270 win and I'm looking at getting a 6.5 PRC in hopes of reducing the recoil but still having a 500 yard hunting rifle for prairie dogs, coyotes, antelope, deer and elk.

My mind is made up on the 6.5 PRC but I'm looking for recommendations on what one to get. I shoot quite a bit and like I said with my .270 win I am comfortable and accurate at 500 yards and have no intent of shooting at animals further than that. I want something out of the box that I don't have to tinker with to get the same results. With saying that I have no problem trying different bullets to see what the gun likes but I don't want to be making a bunch of hardware adjustments on the rifle itself.

I want something that is tough and durable and does not need to be babied while I'm pounding around the pasture on the ranch and hunting.

What make, model or brand should I be looking at?

I have the bergara hmr pro and it is a great rifle, very accurate with the hornady ammo in both the match and Eldx. The 6.5 prc is a great cartridge and will serve you well. My son used it this year for his elk hunt and it performed well.

I have a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and am very happy with it. I don’t own one, but wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Bergara, either.

I have the bergara hmr pro and it is a great rifle, very accurate with the hornady ammo in both the match and Eldx. The 6.5 prc is a great cartridge and will serve you well. My son used it this year for his elk hunt and it performed well.

Thanks for your reply.

How long of barrel and what twist does it have?

What grain of bullet are you using?

I rarely shoot that far on animals but I do on paper so would it be a 500 yard rifle?

I have a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and am very happy with it. I don’t own one, but wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Bergara, either.

I was hoping somebody would mention the Ridgeline because I have looked into it on somebody else's recommendation.

Can you tell me some of your results and hunting situations you have used it in.

The barrel is 26inch 1:8 twist.

So far we are only using the factory 143 and 147 gr ammo. It shot less than 1/2 moa so I haven’t put the time in to try anything else yet.

My son killed his bull at 582 yards. We hadn’t intended that distance but that’s how it worked out and he is proficient to 800 yards at the range with this rifle so I was ok with it.

I have been very impressed with the bergara. It’s shooting almost as well as my full custom with proof research barrel that cost many times as much. Wish I had bought it before having the custom built. Would have saved me a bunch of money.

The barrel is 26inch 1:8 twist.

So far we are only using the factory 143 and 147 gr ammo. It shot less than 1/2 moa so I haven’t put the time in to try anything else yet.

My son killed his bull at 582 yards. We hadn’t intended that distance but that’s how it worked out and he is proficient to 800 yards at the range with this rifle so I was ok with it.

I have been very impressed with the bergara. It’s shooting almost as well as my full custom with proof research barrel that cost many times as much. Wish I had bought it before having the custom built. Would have saved me a bunch of money.

From the sounds of it your set up would probably shoot beyond my capabilities.

Thanks for the great information.

That is just the kind of replies I was hoping to get.

What scope are you using?

The .270 seems to be working within the parameters you explained. Why the change? mtmuley

The .270 seems to be working within the parameters you explained. Why the change? mtmuley

Yes the .270 is working fine but I was just looking at changing calibers to get a little less recoil to make it more enjoyable to shoot. The PRC might not make that much difference I guess but it would be fun to mess around with something else as well.

Good luck. When choosing a rifle the only one that needs to be satisfied is you. Don't much matter what others recommend. mtmuley

Your pluralized from the neck down and hunting elk? How do you manage that? Like how do you get around? Till I read what you want to hunt I was thinking you need a 223. But then you must have someone with you otherwise you couldn't load or work the action? I do not envy you! If you can actually get out to hunt elk and sounds like recoil could be a problem I'd drop down to something like the 6.5 Creedmoor. I'd say 260 Rem but I suspect Creedmoor ammo is easier to find. mtmuley is right, doesn't matter what other's think. Oh, one more thing. I'd look at a heavy barrel i what ever you get. Your not carrying it anywhere and the extra weight will help with recoil and holding when aiming.

Good luck. When choosing a rifle the only one that needs to be satisfied is you. Don't much matter what others recommend. mtmuley

I would agree with that.

I haven't bought a new rifle in some time and didn't know what there would be out there to satisfy me.

Your pluralized from the neck down and hunting elk? How do you manage that? Like how do you get around? Till I read what you want to hunt I was thinking you need a 223. But then you must have someone with you otherwise you couldn't load or work the action? I do not envy you! If you can actually get out to hunt elk and sounds like recoil could be a problem I'd drop down to something like the 6.5 Creedmoor. I'd say 260 Rem but I suspect Creedmoor ammo is easier to find. mtmuley is right, doesn't matter what other's think. Oh, one more thing. I'd look at a heavy barrel i what ever you get. Your not carrying it anywhere and the extra weight will help with recoil and holding when aiming.

I'm fortunate enough to know some landowners in Montana and Wyoming that I have gained permission to hunt elk on.

I am a little more adventurous than the average quadriplegic and just put my head down and try my best to get it done.

The .270 really isn't bad to shoot at all and I could get by with it with no problem.

This is probably more of a want instead of a need.

From the sounds of it your set up would probably shoot beyond my capabilities.

Thanks for the great information.

That is just the kind of replies I was hoping to get.

What scope are you using?

Your welcome I hope it’s helpful. The scope is a bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18x44. It’s a heavy combination and we definitely felt it by the end of the day as that day we put on 18.5 miles on foot according to my fitness tracker.

What’s your location? If your anywhere near northern New Mexico or southern Colorado I’d be happy to let you set it up on your device and try it out.

Your welcome I hope it’s helpful. The scope is a bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18x44. It’s a heavy combination and we definitely felt it by the end of the day as that day we put on 18.5 miles on foot according to my fitness tracker.

What’s your location? If your anywhere near northern New Mexico or southern Colorado I’d be happy to let you set it up on your device and try it out.

Thank you much for the offer but I'm in the very northwest corner of South Dakota.

I was hoping somebody would mention the Ridgeline because I have looked into it on somebody else's recommendation.

Can you tell me some of your results and hunting situations you have used it in.

Sure, I’ve taken 2 antelope with it and my wife took her first this season at distances of 320, 250 and 200 yards, respectively. I’ve got about ~80 rds of Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ammo through it now - same as we used on the hunt.

I’ve had a minor problem with ejection that I believe is now corrected after talking to CA customer service. They sent me a longer extractor and stiffer spring to resolve a problem with it not always ejecting brass properly. I’ve not fired it since replacing the parts, but ran some fired cases through it without any problem. It wasn’t a big problem during our hunt. Otherwise, it’s been great and shoots .5 MOA.

HT user schmalts set me up with a great deal on a VX6 2-12x42 scope and I’ve had great success with it and the custom engraved CDS dial.

Total unloaded weight with scope and sling is right at 9 lbs.

Hope that helps!

Since most of my hunting it at relatively close elevation and temperature I have got along really good with my VX5 CDS and will sure keep him in mind when getting the scope for my new rifle if I get one. Much appreciated for your information.

In 8# rifles, online recoil data for the 6.5 PRC/143 gr is about 18 ft/#s. Same rifle weight (8#) in 270 win/140 gr, recoil is about 17 ft/#s. Don't be surprised if the 6.5 PRC recoils more than your 270.

Back