Rebarrel Opinions

brokfut

I have a FN action with a mag bolt that is chambered in 30-338 win mag. Don't shoot the 30 mag anymore just cuz I'm old and don't like the thump. Thinking about rebarreling to a 6.5 PRC.
Will the long action be a problem doing that? Opinions?

Bolt face size matters more than action length. Longer action does mean longer bullets, seated out farther though. So not really a negative, especially if it feeds correctly with the LA follower.

I did a similar rebarrel job. Went with 6.8 western. I believe that the case is similar to the peck.

It'll work fine. You can add a block to the rear of the magazine if your loaded rounds are too short and try to nosedive. The 6.5 PRC does benefit from a bit of extra length.
Don't listen to p_ham, he hardly knows anything hahaha. Seriously, if he says it, it's gospel.

I suppose it would work, but how about a 280AI? That's probably a super long action for a 6.5 PRC. I haven't compared the case dimensions, so getting proper feeding may be an issue with either of those.

The .280 AI requires a smaller bolt face as well, so it's a no go for that reason.
.257 weatherby or .264 Win mag would be other options, especially for a handloader. Recoil isn't objectionable at all, especially with lighter projectiles and less than max loads.

Lots of folks out the 6.5 on a ling action to run the big heavy 156 Berger’s. Should work fine. Sounds like a fun project

I have a FN action with a mag bolt that is chambered in 30-338 win mag. Don't shoot the 30 mag anymore just cuz I'm old and don't like the thump. Thinking about rebarreling to a 6.5 PRC.
Will the long action be a problem doing that? Opinions?
You could get a long throaglt and try the super heavy 6.5 bullets (150+) and run in mag.

Itd be awesone

Should work well. 6.5 PRC is about as light as I can think of going from a recoil perspective that would have good component/ammo availability for that application with a mag bolt face.

Sticking a PRC in a classic action like the FN is like mounting a Tesla engine in a '55 Chevy. What about a 6.5-06 or, a personal favorite, .338-06?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back