What raft?

MThuntr

I've been talking with a lot of fly guides about the benefits & cons of buying a raft. A lot of the guys feel for a 1 boat guy a raft would be better than a driftboat. Looking at buying a raft for fishing and a touch of whitewater (the tame stuff). I'm thinking overnights on the Smith will be in order. A lot of guys have their preferences but I think I know a 13-15' raft with fishing frame is probably best for local water. Right now I'm seeing that Aire has a Tributary 13' with fishing frame (oars and oar locks included) as a pretty good deal. Used we found a loaded KVI 14' with frame, oars, anchor system, etc but I can't seem to find reviews online.

The question is what raft and frame for a mix of small water (big hole, jefferson, beaverhead) with some mix of overnights?

Any input on brands to avoid? Underrated raft companies?

I have a friend in Colorado who has a raft with frame made by Rocky Mountain Raft Company. It's top notch. He took me on a float last year and I was really impressed. His is an 11' (I think) and was just right for two guys.

http://www.rockymountainrafts.com/rmr_mobile/index.html

Here's a picture I took of his setup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
I had a 13.5' nrs raft & frame. I floated the Yellowstone, Madison, smith and a few others. For a day trip boat I felt 13.5' was about right. For the smith 14.5' would have been better. I loved where that thing would go. I can't wait to get another one.

I have a 14' Sotar and love it. I built the frame myself using NRS LoPro fittings and round aluminum stock. I don't know that I saved much over buying a similar NRS frame. I do like the ability to switch up the frame configuration depending on the type of trip I'm doing. The LoPro fittings make that easy. Using coolers/dry boxes doubles as seats and storage which helps maximize space in the raft.

I don't fish out of my raft but if I had it set up with a fishing frame I probably wouldn't want anything smaller than 14' if fishing two people plus the oarsman. For day trips down the Alberton Gorge, I've had five people in the raft and room was sufficient. For overnight or multi-day trips I'd say 3 people max for a raft that size. It would handle the Lochsa River just fine in the right hands, I'm not that skilled though.

One other consideration is raft material. Sotar uses urethane and I feel it's darn near bulletproof (figuratively). Urethane slips over the water smoothly and resists abrasions well (like dog claws). Downside is it's stiff and doesn't roll up tight, especially when cold. If you're trailering your raft that's not such a big deal. Maravia and Aire also make very nice rafts, each material has its pros/cons.

Just did some searching at lunch. The KVI boats are really good rafts but the top 3 complaints are 1) the tubes are too big which creates a major pain for people wanting to paddle as they have to over extend their stroke. 2) Since the tubes are so wide, you have to size everything to fit as the center is narrow. 3) once loaded for overnights, you become a very large, slow brick.

I spoke with the guys at Red's Fishing and they are very happy with their tributaries and use several for their guide services. A local guide uses one and after 10 years it still looks nice even after near daily use. I've fished out of the Tributaries before and it was enjoyable. We did the Bear Trap this summer with a SOTAR and had a good time however they are priced above what I have budgeted.

I'll give the recommended rafts a look this evening.

Just did some searching at lunch. The KVI boats are really good rafts but the top 3 complaints are 1) the tubes are too big which creates a major pain for people wanting to paddle as they have to over extend their stroke. 2) Since the tubes are so wide, you have to size everything to fit as the center is narrow. 3) once loaded for overnights, you become a very large, slow brick.

Another downside to oversized tubes (and a raft with a big rocker) is it increases your above water profile that makes your raft act as more of a sail when the winds come up. I've only rafted rivers in MT and AK but it seems on every one the wind only ever blew upstream. Rowing / paddling against the wind is tiring enough, a larger profile only makes it harder.

I'm pretty happy with my Watermaster Kodiak kick boat raft. It's rated for Class IV rapids (which I will never run) and weight capacity of 750 pounds. It's built tough and rugged. I like being able to float along, find a place I want to stop and fish, and all I have to do is stand up. When I'm done I sit down and continue on. I like things that are simplified with less hassle. With the Watermaster I don't have to use a trailer. I can deflate it and throw it in a trunk of even a small car, or keep in inflated and just haul it in the bed of my pick up. If you are going to camp you can put your pack and sleeping bag in the dry pack that holds the raft when it's not in use. It's not super cheap, but a heckuva lot cheaper and handier than the full sized rafts. Anyway, it fits my style well for run and gun, so to speak, without much hassle. It works for me, but others mileage may vary. Best of luck in your search. The Watermaster rafts are built right in Stevensville Montana by the way.
water-master-kodiak-3.jpg

Last edited:
This is my NRS E series 14', it's 20 years old. Been used hard on all of MT's SW rivers it's whole life, hypalon's a proven boat material. Still in great shape. It gets rolled up and put away every winter. So there's a longevity and quality testimony. That being said, I know plenty of folks who are very satisfied with their AIRE boats. Just none of them have been on the water, yet, as long as my NRS. I also use a Maravia quite a bit, don't like the wrinkles that have formed in the fairly stiff outer material.

What's your budget, if you don't mind the ask.IMGP0098.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea what the Smith is like, but I'd highly recommend taking a rowing class from a local fly shop or rafting co., and carry a patch kit for whatever you get.

I have no idea what the Smith is like, but I'd highly recommend taking a rowing class from a local fly shop or rafting co., and carry a patch kit for whatever you get.

That's the fun part...1/2 dozen good friends are fly guides so we're planning on some pre-season fishing trips for me to learn.

Big Sky, I like that setup! Perfect for me but I'm thinking bigger so I don't have to fish by myself.

Mthunter, I was in an almost identical situation as you, and ended up deciding on the Aire Tributary 13 HD. It seems like a great balance of value and quality. I considered a couple of other rafts, including the NRS Outlaw, but read a couple reviews that made me skeptical. I haven't taken it out of the box yet, but am looking forward to getting the frame put together and getting the boat out on the water in the next couple of months. Good luck with your search!

Mthunter, I was in an almost identical situation as you, and ended up deciding on the Aire Tributary 13 HD. It seems like a great balance of value and quality. I considered a couple of other rafts, including the NRS Outlaw, but read a couple reviews that made me skeptical. I haven't taken it out of the box yet, but am looking forward to getting the frame put together and getting the boat out on the water in the next couple of months. Good luck with your search!

After searching I'm leaning heavily toward that raft. They have made them a little beefier and they seem to be about the right size.
After reading about those Watermaster Kodiaks that Troy shared, I'm very tempted to get one of those instead and tell everyone they can go pound sand. ;-)

I've got a 14' Aire Ocelot cataraft and my brother has a 14' Maravia cataraft. We've done the Smith many times as well as day trips down the Blackfoot, Missouri, Dearborn, Bitterroot.

When loaded for a campaign, they can be a bit sluggish - but I feel loaded heavy not as sluggish as some rafts I've rowed. It's good mix and I can play with the frame setup if loaded heavy or light, single or double, etc. They track extremely well - and it's nice in low water to be able to split rocks that would catch a raft.

One year down the Smith it was low water (put in at Camp Baker was just over 300 cfs). We packed a little lighter than normal - but didn't have an issue.

They all have advantages / dis-advantages. But I've found ours to be pretty flexible.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back