Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Career Advice

I thought about going to the construction side but my concerns are the hours are going to be crazy. My bud is a super and he's putting in 50-60hrs on average, the money is great but dang I'd rather not have the money and be 40-45hrs.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to land a manager position with a CM or GC because my experience managing is only on the structural side. Should I look at more of a gradual transition into the construction side or maybe just shoot for a manager position?
Don't work for a contractor if you only want a max of 45 hours per week. I'm a civil engineer and I worked as a contractor for several years. I miss the action and being in the field, but I got out when we decided to start having kids and I wanted to be around more.
If you are interested in bridges at all, I work for the montana department of transportation and we regularly need structural engineers in our bridge division.

Don't work for a contractor if you only want a max of 45 hours per week. I'm a civil engineer and I worked as a contractor for several years. I miss the action and being in the field, but I got out when we decided to start having kids and I wanted to be around more.
If you are interested in bridges at all, I work for the montana department of transportation and we regularly need structural engineers in our bridge division.

I know it’s going to Be long hours going into it and right now we don’t have kids yet and the money is real good and it’s going to Ben an awesome learning experience. I think my issues with the long hours as a structural engineer were the fact I was solely working by myself. Multiple nights in the office cranking drawings out, but in this new job I’ll be in big construction jobs where I’ll have peers and more of a teamwork environment.

It’s not unusual in my current office for everyone to come in, not talk except in random passing then go home.

Who you working for if you don't mind me asking? There's a few bigger westside outfits I've really enjoyed working with.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back