What did you learn?

fishantler

What did you learn from last years elk hunting season? I think its very important as a hunter to always learn from what went right and what went wrong while hunting. I believe that the more you put the pieces together, the easier they'll fall into place the next time.

I started this thread last year and it turned out to be fairly popular. Smart asses are welcome because i know that certain people on here just can't resist!

I guess the first thing that i learned was, just because there were lots of elk in one spot the previous hunting season it doesn't mean they'll be there the next season. I also learned that bulls respond excellent to cow calls when there are a lack of cows in the area. Another thing that i learned was that elk tend to feel safer in a large herd and aren't as alert as a small group of elk.

I learned yet again that some guys talk the talk, but are worthless in camp for several reasons. This year just family. Everybody pitches in, knows the area, how to hunt it (doesn't mean we connect every year though).

Every year I think I learn things, from which I form theories. These theories rarely pan out the next hunting season, so I'm not sure if my learning is delusional.

Because the majority of my hunting is done in highly pressured OTC areas, a lot of what I learn is the behavior of other hunters. I'm learning that Hunters are getting more and more extreme every year. More are hiking in before the season begins, and camping or sitting in the dark for hours till the sun comes up.

This year, I also learned that in the millions of acres of Beetle Kill in West-Central Montana, Elk are taking full advantage of the islands of natural fortresses created by miles and miles of impenetrable lodge pole blow-down. Hunting the beetle kill can be torturous, but because it provides such difficult country, I think it is actually going to improve the age class structure of Mule Deer in a lot of areas in MT. That is till it burns to the ground.

Dont give up. The weather can be terrible, the season long and it is tiring getting up early every morning, I get tired of being wet and cold but all it takes in 5 seconds to turn a bad year into a good one.

I learned that you and your buddy never decide to "fertilize a tree" (differerent trees) at the same time. That is when a good bull will present a chip shot and you are literally caught with your pants down. I also learned that while practice shooting to add in this new position.

I learned that you and your buddy never decide to "fertilize a tree" (differerent trees) at the same time. That is when a good bull will present a chip shot and you are literally caught with your pants down. I also learned that while practice shooting to add in this new position.

Ever tried to Shoot a Mallard one handed during that process? Its more challenging than it may sound!

I don't live in a state that has elk...that was sort of a shock.

Save a minimum of 1 week of leave to go elk hunting or you act in a manner that makes folks not like you anymore.

No matter how bad the weather and chance of getting snowed in is...stay for that last day of the season.

No matter how bad the weather and chance of getting snowed in is...stay for that last day of the season.

YES!

+1!

>we had 'thunder snow' and threatened 18 - 24 inches = had the old boys in camp running scared and packing quick.
note: quick way to find yourself not invited back to elk camp ever again.

I learned that it is time for me to get my own hunting rig to ensure access to the place I want and to avoid listening to the mouth I don't want on the ride :) Anyone have a no frills, old school rig they want to sell? :)

Been to Bob Marshall twice with no shooting opportunities on a branch antler bull. I won't give up. Don't ever give up.

Few things I learned:

I learned to make 2 trips

I learned Lock tight-very important!

I learned they are still good little buddies

I learned you can’t stop ATVers

I know I'm still Sexy after all these years

I learned why everyone has been bellyaching to go home early all these years;)

Last edited:
I learned 13 days of rain/hail/sleet/snow out of 21days sucked and so did my rain gear. Top notch rain gear has been purchased.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back