What caliber ?

mdhunter

So I drew a OIL moose tag in Idaho. My largest caliber gun is a .300 WSM that shoots great. It has a muzzle break which is great fine except that with my poor hearing I would not pull the trigger unless I have mucho hearing protection in place. No animal is worth further damage to what little I have left.

I admit it...I am not a guy that looks for the largest caliber that goes boom when I am out hunting. I won't self degrade myself and say I am a flincher. I guess I am old enough to just ask why do it when a smaller caliber will kill the animal just the same.

So, my question is......presuming the caliber chosen to hunt with is one you can shoot accurately, what is the smallest recommended?

Can you take the brake off? Anything like a .270, 7-08 will do fine.

For the most part I think you should be able to wait for a near ideal shot on a moose, and I've never heard of them being a particularly hard animal to kill. I wouldn't hesitate to drop down to something like a .260 with the 125 grain partitions or something similar.

Congrats on your moose tag btw. I'll be chasing them again for my dads tag.

My tack driver is a 6.5 x 284. I have killed a lot of whitetail and have uber confidence with it. That said, I haven't found a story about a person hunting moose with one. Like my thread said, I am just curious from those with experience. Thanks much.

That's a great round and wouldn't hesitate to use it. I remember seeing a Gunwerks/long range pursuit show that had a guy use one on a moose. Probably be on you tube.

Congrats on your moose tag btw. I'll be chasing them again for my dads tag.

Congrats on your dads tag as well! I have been applying for quite a few tags out west for the last eight or so years. I have drawn some good ones but never a moose that's for sure. For an east coast guy it's a big deal to me. Hopefully the hunting gods will smile, I will be in unit 10-1.

Can you remove the muzzle break?

Hundreds of thousands of moose have been shot with the 6.5x55 in Scandinavia. Their moose are similar in size to the shiras. Your 6.5x284 is more than capable I'm sure.

IMO, I'd take the rifle I was most confidant with.

Congrats on the tag

BTW, Norma makes their 6.5mm Oryx bullet in 156grn. This is what they load in their 6.5x55 and 6.5x284. I have a good buddy in the Norwegian Army and he swears by the heavy-for-caliber 6.5 for moose.

I would use what you have, but I would agree that 6.5 will do it. That 300 wsm would be an excellent choice. Wear ear plugs if you feel the necessity.

I also drew a NR Idaho moose tag. I'm taking my 7mm Saum with 150 or 160 gr Nosler Partitions (depending on availability). All this 6.5 talk makes me want to take my Creedmoor....

Congrats on your dads tag as well! I have been applying for quite a few tags out west for the last eight or so years. I have drawn some good ones but never a moose that's for sure. For an east coast guy it's a big deal to me. Hopefully the hunting gods will smile, I will be in unit 10-1.

That's some big country, lots of chances for a moose to disappear into that stuff and grow old.

Do you have horses? Do you know when you'll be coming out?
I live right over the border, about an hour drive out if you need anything.

Randy11 is right. It is big country with very limited road access. I hope you have been there before and know what you are getting into. jUst driving there is an adventure. Take his offer of help if needed. Access to stock would be a huge advantage too if you can arrange it. With that said I've seen moose on Cayuse Landing you could have just loaded into the truck.

I used a .270 Win on a big moose in the Yukon. 140g Swift A Frames. Knocked him down off his feet twice.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back