Caribou Gear Tarp

What are you reading?

Current - Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (Sad telling of how native american societies were destroyed from the native perspective)

Last 6 Months - American Sniper (amazing story of a true American soldier), The Wolf (WWI German Raider), The Alchemist (I read every 2-3 years to help keeps things in perspective) Empire of the Summer Moon (Story of the Comanches. Amazing civilization that stopped westward expansion for several decades)

Periodicals - National Geographic (I've read for 40 of my 48 years) and Bugle (RMEF member since 89 and it has been up and down over the years but is now up. Randy articles are great and it's back to stories of the hunt. A few years ago it was to fluffy and environmental)

A few years ago my family and I put together a list of the top 25 classic books of all time-as compiled by us using internet resources. We exiled the obscene.
We then purchased most of them on Amazon for cheap. Then we challenged each other to complete the list-while extending credit for books already read. The challenge included writing our names in the back of the book along with our personal opinion of the book-and the date completed.
I have now read 20 of the books. I have Homer's Odyssey, Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and War and Peace, Cervantes' Don Quixote and Flaubert's Madam Bovary left to complete. I am about 40% complete with ....
Anna Karenina!! I must admit, I find most of the classics to be boooooooorrrrring!!!

Currently...Flags of our Fathers. Did hear about CJ Box on this site quite awhile ago and tried 1 book, ended up buying every one he has written and read them all. Now patiently awaiting his next.

Horse Soldiers - Our first two months in Afghanistan nough said! & Decision Points - GWs autobiography (not really though) an interesting read.

Serious, other than smart phone manual I spend reading time with the FoxFire books. Anybody looked into them?

Between what dad, my bro and I have, we have the compete set. AMAZING what you learn from them.

If you have all 12 and The Book, you should be able to get by just about anywhere you go so long as there is enough growing season and enough arable land. All the info and ways were sourced mostly from the lower Appalachians, are time tested, and many are still practiced today. I don't know that I'll ever need to know how to lay out a dead person, but one never knows.

Finished American Sniper a few months back. Good read.

Earlier this week I finished Vince Flynn's latest "Last Man". My favorite author and I have read every one of his 14 books. Primary character is an American/CIA assasin who kills everyone who needs and deserves it. Start reading them and you will be hooked too.

Current - Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (Sad telling of how native american societies were destroyed from the native perspective)
Empire of the Summer Moon (Story of the Comanches. Amazing civilization that stopped westward expansion for several decades.

See if you can find a copy of Native American Testimony, an anthology of Indian and white relations, and a good companion piece to Empire of the Summer Moon is "The First Hundred Years of Nino Cochise" by the grandson of Chief Cochise, Ciye' "Nino" Cochise. Both great reads and told from the perspective of the Native Americans also.

See if you can find a copy of Native American Testimony, an anthology of Indian and white relations, and a good companion piece to Empire of the Summer Moon is "The First Hundred Years of Nino Cochise" by the grandson of Chief Cochise, Ciye' "Nino" Cochise. Both great reads and told from the perspective of the Native Americans also.

Thanks for the suggestions. Love anything associated with American history between 1700-1900 especially the west.

Green Eggs and Ham
Nice to see you expanding your intellectual capacity Dink. You'll be a better man for it.

Calico Joe- by John Grisham
The Appeal- John Grisham
The Rescue- a true story of the rescue of 40 Americans, along with captured Japanese battle plans, during WW2 by Steven Smith

Last edited:
Picked up 'Outer Dark' yesterday...a 1968 McCarthy copyright. He must have some real demons inhabiting his psyche.

CJ Box was in Pinedale,Wy recently at benefit that a Son
and I attended. We found him really funny and down to earth.
He had taken an Elk the day before and obviously loves the hunt.
Love his books.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back