Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What are you reading?

2rocky

Currently I am on book 2 of the Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing The first book is All the Pretty Horses
, and the final book is Cities of the Plain
Takes a while to get used to the dialogue having no Quotation marks. LINK to an excerpt .

I enjoyed All the Pretty Horses, but this one is a little starker and I don't have the images from the movie to relate to.

In the late 1930s, sixteen-year-old Billy Parham captures a she-wolf that has been marauding his family's ranch. But instead of killing it, he decides to take it back to the mountains of Mexico. With that crossing, he begins an arduous and often dreamlike journey into a country where men meet ghosts and violence strikes as suddenly as heat-lightning--a world where there is no order "save that which death has put there."​

Cities of the Plain ties the two characters together, is longer, and has an 11 page section where an old priest goes off into LaLa Land to the degree that I think old Cormac might have been chewing some peyote buds in search of material to finish the story. The dialogue is a bit hard to follow until you get into the rhythm of his writing style, but the images have to come from your imagination. Just don't eat any cabrito tacos. That will come to you in it's own sweet time in book three.

Currently I am on book 2 of the Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy, The Crossing The first book is All the Pretty Horses
, and the final book is Cities of the Plain
Takes a while to get used to the dialogue having no Quotation marks. LINK to an excerpt .

I enjoyed All the Pretty Horses, but this one is a little starker and I don't have the images from the movie to relate to.

In the late 1930s, sixteen-year-old Billy Parham captures a she-wolf that has been marauding his family's ranch. But instead of killing it, he decides to take it back to the mountains of Mexico. With that crossing, he begins an arduous and often dreamlike journey into a country where men meet ghosts and violence strikes as suddenly as heat-lightning--a world where there is no order "save that which death has put there."​

Blood Meridian, No Country for Old Men, and Suttree if you like McCarthy. I finished Suttree during 1st rifle Colorado after buying and beginning nearly 4 years ago. It's the most intense and haunting book I've ever read. Cormac McCarthy is the best living writer out there in my honest opinion..

I read every work a good writer publishes.

Last edited:
It's the most intense and haunting book I've ever read. Cormac McCarthy is the best living writer out there in my honest opinion...

I agree about McCarthy, but I think "The Road" is his most intense and haunting book. 1000 times better than the lame movie version they made.

I'm currently reading "How To Become a Professional Hunter in Africa" by Steven Robinson.

The title pretty much sums it up. It's an eBook only, no print version.

Be sure to let me know what you think. I agree with the lame screenplay of Road but I'd think it a daunting task to convey McCarthy's wordview to film. No Country left much out but the Coen Bros did well IMO.

Last edited:
Mexico by James Michener. They are long reads but I highly recommend them. I can't pick a favorite, but if I had to it would be Chesapeake, Hawaii, or the Covenant(Africa).

Be sure to let me know what you think. I agree with the lame screenplay of Road but I'd think it a daunting task to convey McCarthy's wordview to film. No Country left much out but the Coen Bros did well IMO.

NH, my wife hates that movie, but I bought it and watch it about every 6 weeks. If she comes in and finds it on she just peels off to a bedroom to watch some of her Pollyanna crap.

to me, No Country, the movie, was a straight up morality play, with Anton Chigurh as the moralist protagonist...the sherriff was merely the narrative advance. The Coens are craftsmen. Really admired what they did with True Grit.

someone on here mentioned the CJ Box books about Joe Pickett, so I bought one. I am now on the sixth one, just ordered a few more. Pretty good and easy reading.

Serious, other than smart phone manual I spend reading time with the FoxFire books. Anybody looked into them?

Between what dad, my bro and I have, we have the compete set. AMAZING what you learn from them.

Explicit Gospel by Matt Chandler
Forgotten God by Francis Chan
The Meaning of Marriage by Tim Kellar
In Defense of Hunting by Swan

That's all for the current stuff.

In the past year:

Meat Eater by Steven Rinella
Crazy Love by Francis Chan

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members