Votes: 42 22.0%
  • 50's

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • 60+

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Still Hammering

Votes: 73 38.2%

• Total voters
I'm 100% sure you have no idea if I'm loaded or up to my eyeballs in debt... or both. And it doesn't matter anyway. However, there are lots of discussions on HT about retirement and investing advice, so I know people think about it.

As to why I asked, plenty of financial articles have statistics on average worth/savings by age group, I merely wondered if the million mark was more often reached at an early age or slowly and later in life. It's a fair question and nobody is required to answer.

I find people's success stories aspirational and like to see people do well, for all you know I'm just trying to be inspired. I didn't mean to offend anybody and apologize if I did.
Statistically, most people do not become millionaires.

Can't put a monetary value on that. mtmuley
I wonder how many people realize how luck they was to have been born at the time they where. At 36 I was able to get a house and then build a nice place out of town. My grunt at work pays more for rent on a 2 bedroom apartment than I do my mortgage. The 10 years that separated us for buying a house will put me so far ahead of him in life I feel bad for them.

I wonder how many people realize how luck they was to have been born at the time they where. At 36 I was able to get a house and then build a nice place out of town. My grunt at work pays more for rent on a 2 bedroom apartment than I do my mortgage. The 10 years that separated us for buying a house will put me so far ahead of him in life I feel bad for them.
It's pretty sad. Makes me wish I would have capitalized on the situation 10x. But still in a better spot than those guys.

It’s insane I pay 400 more a month on child care than a mortgage the guys behind us are gonna be in a bad way
It's funny that you or I can see that with only ten years difference. Yet I hear all the time from guys in there 50's nobody wants to work anymore. There's plenty of lazy kids out there but I know tons of young guys coming up that have plenty of work ethic but the deck is definitely stacked against them starting out.

Statistically, most people can't do simple math.
That’s true but mathematically it’s also achievable for most people with a full working life (give or take 40 years traditionally)
In 40 years your million will likely turn into $200,000 or the equivalent. When I was a kid a million made you rich, today it doesn't.

same we bought our house about 10 years ago and feel very lucky that we did.
It’s insane I pay 400 more a month on child care than a mortgage the guys behind us are gonna be in a bad way
same, per month for a 3 and 4 year old its 1850 a month.

It's funny that you or I can see that with only ten years difference. Yet I hear all the time from guys in there 50's nobody wants to work anymore. There's plenty of lazy kids out there but I know tons of young guys coming up that have plenty of work ethic but the deck is definitely stacked against them starting out.
I’m pretty thankful I wasn’t 10 years later into this. I’d probably get a gun and sell meth otherwise. Not like a mean dealer but a nice one you know.

Back