What a good sportsman's candidate looks like

Ben Lamb

Here's a letter I got from a candidate looking to be the next Attorney General of Montana:

Dear Ben,

I was kayaking the Ruby River in Southwestern Montana, when I dropped my legs in the water to cool off. Instantly, I felt a searing pain. Someone had illegally strung barbed wire just under the waterline in an attempt to stop lawfully wading anglers from accessing the river.

I still have the scar from that barbed wire.

That scar is a constant reminder to me that unless we elect officials who are willing to fight for our rights to access public lands and public waters, Montanans lose a large part of what makes our state great.

My record is crystal clear; I am the candidate that fights for Montanans' access.

Access to public lands and waters is vital to passing on our hunting and angling heritage. We all have examples of access denied, closed roads that were long held as public and as resident hunters and anglers, we struggle to maintain what access we have left.

The role of the Attorney General in fighting for access is critical.

As Attorney General, I will work to pass legislation that makes it harder to close long established county roads in favor of exclusive access for the few.

Make no mistake, what is private must remain private, and I am a strong proponent for private property rights. But what is public must be protected as well. I will fight to ensure that no one abuses their position to lock out Montana's resident hunters and anglers.

While representing the Department of Justice as Mike McGrath's Chief Deputy Attorney General at the Legislature, I fought the legal and legislative battle on behalf of Montana's hunters and anglers.

As a key member of the major litigation unit at the Department of Justice, I successfully defended I-143, Montana's game farm ban, all the way to the Montana Supreme Court.
As a kid learning to hunt with my sisters and brother, my father taught us that a hunt isn't a hunt without a fair chase, and penned shooting of any species is wrong. This, combined with the threat of disease to our free-roaming and wild elk, deer and moose, necessitated the end of game farms in Montana
I have been a strong defender of the Roadless Area Conservation rule. While at the Attorney General's office I coauthored the brief used by Attorney General Mike McGrath to defend Montana's prime big game habitat. My work, and Montana's dedication to conserving the best of the best, has kept Montana's big game habitat and blue-ribbon trout rivers and streams productive and wild. As Attorney General, I will continue to support the conservation of critical big game habitat.
As one of my main initiatives as Attorney General, I will hold corporations accountable to Montana citizens through the creation of an Environmental Crimes Unit specifically assigned to monitor and prosecute those who exploit our resources and pollute our lands and waterways.
As your Attorney General, I will continue to advocate for the protection of Montana's landscapes, our rights to access them, and defend the North American Model of Fish and Wildlife Conservation.

The conservation and habitat issues we face in Montana are complex. We have a long history of getting together to talk about local issues and find a consensus and compromise. It's how we do it in Townsend, and it's how, as Attorney General, I will approach land use policy with Montanans.

Sincerely

Pam Bucy

P.S. I would be honored to have you join Hunters and Anglers for Pam Bucy, and I am looking forward to working with you to stand up for public access all across our state.

Pam Bucy-Yes

Yes we definately need to elect this lady in November as our next Atty. Gen. She is on our side hunters/anglers/conservationists. JW

It's too bad we can't have someone like her that is conservative and is not tied in with Unions. What a shame and a waste of a good sportsman's advocate.

I wonder what it would take to get someone like that to really tackle the corner crossing issue??? What IS the best way to tackle that issue...aka... make it LEGAL.

I wonder what it would take to get someone like that to really tackle the corner crossing issue??? What IS the best way to tackle that issue...aka... make it LEGAL.
That'll be a sticky one. For a start, I'd see what CO has on the books that make it legal there.

Another option, but one I'd doubt would work, is to get a law on the books like UT and ID have. Non-ag/developed lands have to be signed otherwise you're free to use them, but do have to leave if asked.

Last edited:
That'll be a sticky one. For a start, I'd see what CO has on the books that make it legal there.

Another option, but one I'd doubt would work, is to get a law on the books like UT and ID have. Non-ag/developed lands have to be signed otherwise you're free to use them, but do have to leave if asked.

Is it leagal in COlorado?

It is not illegal. :) There is no law or regulation saying one way or the other. It largely depends on whether the district attorney thinks they can convict someone on trespassing in the "air." I know about one spot that the DOW would openly tell you that a person COULD cross, and it was in a county that the DA refused to prosecute such a case. I have a funny story regarding that point, and the well-known landowner that attempted to fight it. I better not share it on here, though.

One way to get the corner crossing issue taken care of is to get caught, go to court, and show how with new technology you can cross at the exact point. With new GPS technology, it can be accomplished. Not saying it is right to break the law, or that I'm willing to try it, but I believe it would be easy enough to get it through, and make accessing more public land easier. Just a thought.

She does look like a great candidate though.

It's too bad we can't have someone like her that is conservative and is not tied in with Unions. What a shame and a waste of a good sportsman's advocate.

If you're running in a Democratic primary, you have to have the support of the Unions.

One way to get the corner crossing issue taken care of is to get caught, go to court, and show how with new technology you can cross at the exact point. With new GPS technology, it can be accomplished. Not saying it is right to break the law, or that I'm willing to try it, but I believe it would be easy enough to get it through, and make accessing more public land easier. Just a thought.

I don't think you will convince anyone with GPS technology, because the technology is not that good yet. You need a located pin and nothing interfering with your ability to step across that pin.

I don't think you will convince anyone with GPS technology, because the technology is not that good yet. You need a located pin and nothing interfering with your ability to step across that pin.
Yep! The amount of error in handheld GPS units we all use isn't accurate enough to entice me in basing a court case on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back