Western US Vacation

ChrisC

My wife and I alternate vacations. That is, she picks one this year and I get to pick the trip for the next one. We just booked her trip so the wheels are already turning for my selection. A few years ago we had the opportunity to go to Arizona and the Grand Canyon, followed by Kodiak (even got to sneak in some hunting). I'm considering Yellowstone but didnt know what other places I may be overlooking.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris

Glacier NP (and the general surrounding area) is great. We visited last summer, fished the Blackfoot River, traveled to a few different spots from there.

I'd also recommend South Dakota- the Black Hills, Custer SP, Badlands NP, Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, etc. Fished Spearfish Creek.

Depends what you like to see and do. Both areas have breweries, wineries, good restaurants, art places. My girlfriend runs marathons, so that is often part of the trip.

Glacier NP (and the general surrounding area) is great. We visited last summer, fished the Blackfoot River, traveled to a few different spots from there.

I'd also recommend South Dakota- the Black Hills, Custer SP, Badlands NP, Devil's Tower, Mt Rushmore, etc. Fished Spearfish Creek.

Depends what you like to see and do. Both areas have breweries, wineries, good restaurants, art places. My girlfriend runs marathons, so that is often part of the trip.

What Matt just said above. There are so many things to see in Wyoming, Montana and the Dakotas you'll ultimately want to come back because you couldn't hit it all. The Buffalo Bill museum in Cody is worthwhile too.

I"m not trying to talk you out of the Western US, but Alberta is awesome. Especially Kananaskis (SW of Banff) Better than Glacier, just as good as Banff, with 1/10 the rat-race. It is the most fantastic place I've ever been and I've been to a few places.

With the exception of a backcountry fishing trip or two, I avoid Yellowstone at all costs during the summer. It's a miserable experience.

I'd head north towards Glacier or into Canada as Miller suggested. We had a great trip in the Winds outside of Pinedale last year. It's close enough to Jackson Hole that you could easily check out the Tetons for a day or two.

We are taking our travel trailer to Glacier for three weeks, leaving the day after Labor Day! Will be doing Jasper, Banff, Waterton. This will be cutting things close as far as October hunts prep though, so will have to be organized this year...

Washington has some incredible National Parks and public land. You can combine that with a trip down the coast to Southern Oregon which also has a lot of public land for hiking and adventuring.

Glacier, obviously, but don't overlook eastern MT either. You've got the American Prairie Reserve and the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument, Fort Peck dam, CM Russell Wildlife Refuge. Sandpoint ID and Lake Pend Orielle are fun, and you can check out the Yaak and Cabinet mountains in MT along with Scotchmans Peak, etc.

Glacier seems to be mentioned by everyone, I'll have to check it out. Havent heard of some of these other places, so i appreciate the heads up. No requirements other than good scenery and outdoor activity. Not important to have breweries, art, etc.

Seattle is a good one I've done a few times , lots to do on the water front , catch a mariners game , space needle , the ferry system is on the water front it was 7.50 $ round trip a few years ago , u can take it other locations, an island with lots of shops and restaurants, or Bremerton and do a self guided tour of a US Naval Destroyer
IMG_4831.jpgIMG_4832.jpgIMG_4833.jpg

Last edited:
Are you limited to certain months for the vacation? I am in the NW and it rains a LOT here from late Sept through late June. Show up in July or August though and almost certain to have nothing but long days of sunlight and blue skies. Glacier is awesome but from late Nov to early May some access may be limited by snow.

Yellowstone and the other big western parks get slammed during the summer so roads can resemble rush hour gridlock.

Are you in a motor home, car, flying? I like the drive that goes through the Dakotas to Montana to Utah/Idaho to Oregon cost. You can make that drive from mid-April through mid-October with almost no risk of iced over roads. You encounter few big cities so less chance get stuck in rush hour traffic for a few hours. Some nice parks on that route and about 7 different ecosystems. Get a book on roadside geology to geek out on all the rocky things you will see as drive. If driving, I suggest getting several 8 - 14 hour long books on CD to listen to for the less exciting portions of the drive. Jack Reacher and Stone Barrington novels work well for me.

Last edited:
Are you going to fly or drive there? Each choice opens up new opportunities. Length of trip? Rough budget? Maybe a couple more details to fill in the blanks. We've done several road trips out west and have been to some awesome places!

I have no restrictions for time of year, though I'd rather not do it in the fall so it wont interfere with hunting. We will probably fly and rent a car. We have a little one at home that will stay with her grandparents, so we cant spend weeks away doing a roadtrip.

With the exception of a backcountry fishing trip or two, I avoid Yellowstone at all costs during the summer. It's a miserable experience.

I'd head north towards Glacier or into Canada as Miller suggested. We had a great trip in the Winds outside of Pinedale last year. It's close enough to Jackson Hole that you could easily check out the Tetons for a day or two.

Yellowstone in the summer months is awesome, for viewing oriental tourists. Don't bother IMO.

Last summer I had a friend come up from Chicago and we hiked to the top of Swiftcurrent Peak from Many Glacier in Glacier Park. It was amazing, and I couldn't believe I had lived in Montana for 25 years and not done it before. I had been through the park a dozen times prior and done a few short day hikes, but that was something else and I highly recommend it. I plan on going back with my family this summer.

Attachments

• Swiftcurrent.jpg
    Swiftcurrent.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 256
Fly in to Seattle, spend a couple of days enjoying the city and then rent a car and take the ferry to Port Townsend and tour the Olympic Penn.

We're doing something similar this May.

My wife and alternate a week in YNP and GNP every year. Incredible. There is more in both parks than you will be able to do in a lifetime. PM if you go that way and I'll give some tips.

Yellowstone is beautiful. Glacier is truly astounding. If you haven't been then you should see them. You can do both in a long weekend. On the flip side, the wife and I did the Washington thing last December. Seattle to Astoria, OR via 101 is a hell of a drive. Saw some elk and blacktail as well as some of the most beautiful country in the US. I hadn't seen anything that green since I left Florida in the spring 25 years ago. Even northern Idaho is a beautiful area. You could see all of it in a week. Land in MT. Rent a car and see the two parks. Drive across northern Idaho to Seattle and head down to Astoria. Fly out of Portland. Relaxing 7 day trip.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back