Western States Vacation Recommendation?

One week is not nearly enough for even YNP. It IS an amazing place and you will be able to leave the tourists behind by getting into the back-country just a little. I go every September and hearing elk bugle while in the tent is the icing on the cake after fishing all day :)

With a month and orders for 25 places for 25 years, I would opt for the western loop road trip. There is much to see out here. But since I live in the west, I would probably do Alaska. Maybe Alaska could be the trip for your 30th.

With a month and orders for 25 places for 25 years, I would opt for the western loop road trip. There is much to see out here. But since I live in the west, I would probably do Alaska. Maybe Alaska could be the trip for your 30th.

Yea, I told her that the only way to do that would be to (ie) count various places in YNP. It would take me two months if YNP and others were counted as individual places.

As for Alaska, that is exactly what I was thinking about. I want to go to both places before I am too old to enjoy it. I`m also afraid that if we go to Alaska first, I won`t go out west.

We`ve been to a lot of places (Israel, Caribbean Cruises, Europe, Mexico, etc) but have neglected to visit anywhere on the left side of the Mississippi, with the exception of Vegas and Texas for work, like mentioned earlier. I believe I`m looking more forward to this trip than all of the others. I can say that I am very envious of some of you guys!

Again, I appreciate all of this advise!

genesis,Ken Burns did a mini series for PBS a few years back about the Natl parks. It's been awhile but I remember it to be really good,it might be a good watch before your trip.

natgeo-has played documentarys about yellowstone,brice conyon,craterlake,alaska,and most of the national parks,so try natgeo.com.:hump:

The first week of our trip was National Parks week, so we went in 4 for free.

My 1st tip is hotwire.com. If you're flexible, you can get great deals. We stayed in Vegas for $26, Reno for $19, and a bunch of places for $30-$40.

Second tip is rent a car. We paid around $400 for 19 days, and put 8,000 miles on it. Maybe, we were lucky, but they gave us an almost new(5,000 mile on it) Mazda 3. We averaged 42 MPG, and I was glad to have the smaller car most of the time. We did a bunch of stuff in major cities, and navigating/parking was a breeze.

Third tip, forget the budget. We did anything and everything we wanted. It made up for all the 10hr days driving.

Final thing, all the driving is very demanding. We were on the road by 6am everyday, and averaged 10 hours a day. We found out, it's way better to end at your destination in the afternoon, rather than start at a destination in the morning and drive hundreds of miles in the afternoon. I love my wife, but spending 18 days 3 feet apart was taxing to say the least.

I you get to Glacier, I suggest you hop the border and check out Waterton as well. Cool county. Crypt Trail is awesome and kayaking Cameron Lake is a must.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back