Western Culture?

mojoe

Hello everybody. This is my first post. Kinda fitting, I am wondering how to act out west.

I am from Florida and my wife and I will be heading west for the first time ever in September. I drew a Carson N.F. archery tag and have been doing all the things you would expect from a traveling elk newbie. I have gotten really excited about exploring numerous areas I have located on google earth. I have been making dots and x's on my 2 month old maps. It wasn't untill puting coordinates in my gps that it hit me: If this stuff is obvious enough for me to find, how likely am I to run into others with the same ideas? And more improtantly, what is typical etiquette when it happens?

On public land here, camping is only allowed in designated areas, and most places parking is only allowed at designated spots. So everybody camps together. When parking, don't block anybody in. When hunting, 1/4 mile is common courtesy if you know where someone else is. We hunt and camp pretty close 'cuz we have to. People are people, but we have met and made many good friends over the years in camp ...

But thats Florida. The vastness is a big part of our desire to head west. But it is still public land. What is common there? How much space should we expect around camp? Is it common to meet the "neighbors"? How much space should I expect when hunting?...

Thank you for any guidance you can pass on.

You might see others. If you were there first, go about your business. If they were there first, give them the space to do their thing.

Camping is usually not a problem. In designated campgrounds, you may encounter some other hunters. In open camping areas, there is usually enough room to spread out. Most people will give you space and expect the same.

Mostly, come and enjoy your time. And like Spook said, if you are polite enough to ask, odds are you won't have to worry about it.

Thanks. Thats what I was hoping. We will arrive 2 days before our season opens. So although it is not likely we will find elk, I hope that's enough time to find a place to set up with a few of our planned areas to explore near by.

Coming from Florida myself you will find you are in a whole new world. The land is vast and you will not be able to breathe. In my first few years here I have been a little frustrated by the number of people that are more than a mile off the road But I have been hunting relatively close to Colorado Springs just because of lack of time off. This year will be my first vacation during hunting season so we shall see how it goes

The vastness is a big part of our desire to head west.

Don't be overwhelmed by the vastness. Allow some time for you heart, mind and soul to acclimate.

Continue to have respect for others and they will do the same for you.

To have "crowded" hunting spots out there is a little different than what you, or should I say we, are used to.
Just don't let the vastness get to you ;)

Good Luck!

Mojoe, Randy wrote a great piece for RMEF in the July-August issue titled "10 rules for the uninitiated". I would ask him to send you a copy. Great piece.

Outside that here are my suggestions.
1) Be in the best possible condition. Huge areas and the altitude and slope will be a challenge. Take it slow and remember you are hunting.

2) Pack a good day pack with food, water, basic survival gear and know how to use them. Pick a pack with a frame that doubles for packing dead critters.

3) GPS, Good Map, Compass and know how to use them. Be comfortable getting away from the road.

4) Buddy up. Hopefully you have someone coming and if not post on local sportman sites. Having a companion helps with confidence to get away from the road and also pushes you to hunt hard.

5) Optics and practice shooting. Big country and optics do the walking for you. Practice shots out to 250 yards.

6) Avoid areas where people can use ATV's. Hate those things and they ruin the hunting experience.

7) Talk to locals. Not other hunters but wildlife officers, forest service/blm staff, gas station, mechanics, cowboys, and my personal favorite sheep herders. Amazing what a cold 6 pack of Pepsi gets.

8) Good vehicle with good tires. I recommend 2 spare tires, chains (seasonal) tow strap, basic tool kit, duct tape, extra oil, coolant, jumper cables or jump box.

9) Keep someone updated with where you are going and when you are coming back. If you are not calling home periodically leave a note at your camp when you leave. Remember the dude in 127 Hours. Leave a note.

10) Know how to process a deer into parts and have 2 coolers for the meat.

Congrats on your hunt out west and let us know how it goes.

and my personal favorite sheep herders

As much as I hate to see sheep were I am hunting, some of my best tips on where the elk are have come from sheep herders. They know the land, all you can hope is that they know english...

As much as I hate to see sheep were I am hunting, some of my best tips on where the elk are have come from sheep herders. They know the land, all you can hope is that they know english...

LMAO! No $H!+. Been there, done that! Make antlers on your head using your hands and fingers...they understand that and then it gets exciting! Bring a Spanglish dictionary too! :D

One tiny little tip that can make a big difference is to make sure you don't overdo it on your scouting days before the hunt.

You'll want to go check out all those areas you saw on the map, but if you push it on the scouting days you might wear yourself out before you even start the actual hunt. You will need some time to get acclimatized to the altitude and generally 48 hours is a minimum before your body will have had time to start working on making more red blood cells. Just take it easy those first couple days and it will make a big difference on the rest of the week.

Texas plates are a sure way to get you directions out of town the wrong direction.... JK Ken.

Another good question to ask at the local sporting goods store is where have you heard people are headed? Ask about general areas and you may have some success figuring out where to avoid based solely on concentrations of people.

Don't overlook diners and gas stations as possible tip spots for info....strike up a little conversation and tell them you're here hunting, and a good amount of time you'll get an earfull of hunting spots...especially in little mom and pop type places

Welcome to the West. I'm not from New Mexico, but did move hear from a coast, left in my case, to Idaho.

The learning curve get's steeper the more you find game. Sounds obvious, but until you get to know the animals and where they like to be, it can seem arduous. Theory turns into real life experiece the more times you find and can watch them in your hunting grounds. Understand the first year will be mostly about learning.

I will reiterate that in my experience there is no more valuable tool in finding elk than optics. I don't hunt archery, so the experience is a little different as I never get the benefit of a call, but optics are still how you will find these critters so make sure you have goon ones and USE THEM.

Good luck, and make sure you have a sharp knife and strong back if you get one down.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back