Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Well now I'm just going to Subaru even harder

Make sure you drive around with those on all the time. Even in daylight. Seems to be the preffered method around where I live. mtmuley
I drive 600 miles a night and try not to loose my fruit loops every night with the idiots running with high beams on like they’re the only vehicle on the road!

In other Subaru news from CA, look at my passenger side mirror from my 2020 Forester. Found a melted backside of the mirror. Was working in Bakersfield last week and suspect the heat plus something reflecting on it caused it to melt????? Or were you in Bakersfield shining those lights on my rig?

Attachments

• EB517DBC-0D27-4D05-A584-6A7C346E05FF.jpeg
    EB517DBC-0D27-4D05-A584-6A7C346E05FF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
So what’s the scoop on the low compression and head gaskets?

Signed,

‘20 outback 2.5L owner who has never researched common subie issues.

So what’s the scoop on the low compression and head gaskets?

Signed,

‘20 outback 2.5L owner who has never researched common subie issues.
Our mechanic said there are two kinds of Subarus, those with leaky head gaskets and those with developing leaky head gaskets.

It’s been their Achilles heel for a couple of decades.

Our mechanic said there are two kinds of Subarus, those with leaky head gaskets and those with developing leaky head gaskets.

So for the type that would rather just trade vehicles in before stuff like that happens, is there a consensus on a mileage to do it at?

So for the type that would rather just trade vehicles in before stuff like that happens, is there a consensus on a mileage to do it at?
Is it still under warranty? If so drive it to the end of the warranty.

Do a search for “Subaru head gasket” and grab a case of beer. They’re great cars, and our mechanic said they do a lot of them, and the. They’re good for another 100-150k.

That definitely used to be true, but when Subaru phased in the FB series engine in 2011, it rectified that issue. Head gasket failure isn't that common of an issue anymore.

The 2 main problems that newer Subarus have are oil consumption and CVT issues. The oil consumption problem is a cylinder wall issue. Not much you can do other than live with it, get a new short block, or get rid of the car.

The CVT issue is caused by failing solenoids in the valve body. Unfortunately, Subaru doesn't sell the solenoids individually so you have to swap the whole valve body. They are easy to access but the part itself is $900 and there is no aftermarket alternative.

100K, they are still having Hgasket issue. The fix is to use a factory gasket for the turbo engine. Think the shop I worked at is re-ringing the pistons and honing the cylinder walls. Might do the T belt while motor is apart

That definitely used to be true, but when Subaru phased in the FB series engine in 2011, it rectified that issue. Head gasket failure isn't that common of an issue anymore.

The 2 main problems that newer Subarus have are oil consumption and CVT issues. The oil consumption problem is a cylinder wall issue. Not much you can do other than live with it, get a new short block, or get rid of the car.

The CVT issue is caused by failing solenoids in the valve body. Unfortunately, Subaru doesn't sell the solenoids individually so you have to swap the whole valve body. They are easy to access but the part itself is $900 and there is no aftermarket alternative.
Spot on. Believe it or not, Gen 3 Subies are actually pretty easy to work on and maintain. Easiest oil change ever. Some go to heavier weight oil to help with oil consumption issues, but fuel economy can suffer a bit. I bought aftermarket solenoids for my ‘14 when my dash lit up like a Christmas tree, but they only lasted so long so I replaced the whole valve body with a factory replacement (thankfully I got to know the guys at the parts counter and they gave me a good price). That really wasn’t too hard of a job, actually. I recently replaced my 2.5l engine at 295k with a lower mileage (supposedly) engine, and it was a bit of a pain due to it being a Japanese takeout with a different setup… but I still was able to do it all myself.

I’d love to buy another ‘14 to replace it/back it up as a third vehicle, but we’re probably buying a minivan this time around so that we can use the ‘08 expedition for my hunting rig/third vehicle due to burgeoning gas prices. With 3 kids we need the room, especially for friends and/or trips, and the minivan will still get 25ish mpg. The replacement subie will have to come later I guess

I had a Crosstrek for 3 years. It was the best little car for fishing these east Tennessee rivers. Easy to park and handled the rough gravel roads like a champ. Plus I could 3 point turn it around in just a second and didn’t have to look for a big pull off. But man that thing was loud on the interstate. Anyway, adding another kid to the pack meant it had to go.

Spot on. Believe it or not, Gen 3 Subies are actually pretty easy to work on and maintain. Easiest oil change ever. Some go to heavier weight oil to help with oil consumption issues, but fuel economy can suffer a bit. I bought aftermarket solenoids for my ‘14 when my dash lit up like a Christmas tree, but they only lasted so long so I replaced the whole valve body with a factory replacement (thankfully I got to know the guys at the parts counter and they gave me a good price). That really wasn’t too hard of a job, actually. I recently replaced my 2.5l engine at 295k with a lower mileage (supposedly) engine, and it was a bit of a pain due to it being a Japanese takeout with a different setup… but I still was able to do it all myself.

I’d love to buy another ‘14 to replace it/back it up as a third vehicle, but we’re probably buying a minivan this time around so that we can use the ‘08 expedition for my hunting rig/third vehicle due to burgeoning gas prices. With 3 kids we need the room, especially for friends and/or trips, and the minivan will still get 25ish mpg. The replacement subie will have to come later I guess
I tried switching to 5w-30 for this oil change. So far its reduced consumption a good bit (almost at 2k and not even half a qt low, compared to 3-3.5 qts every 6k before).

I had the dealer do the valve body job but leave me the old valve body. From what I can tell, the solenoids are interchangeable so if another one goes bad I'll just pull a good one from the old valve body.

Back