Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Water filters/filtering Midwest water.

DouglasR

I’m thinking about hiking a section of the Illinois river to river trail through the Shawnee and was wondering if anyone has any experience with filtering water from creeks or streams in the Midwest?
Is this possible to do?
I had a buddy use a life straw on water from a local river in high school and he allegedly got sick from it.
Would something like this Katadyn Vario
that claims to filter out chemicals do the trick?
Would this be the most packable option?
Anybody got any info or real world experience with this?
Thanks!

Thanks for the tip.
I guess my main concern is runoff from ag fields and what not.
I used a Katadyn be free and sawyer squeeze in co/az, but that’s like up high water flowing down from a mountain top and this would be a hike from the Mississippi to the Ohio river so that’s like the drain of this side of the country right?
Is this something I should be concerned about?

I'd be looking to get water from the smaller creeks and streams you cross. The smaller ones a bit of a distance from the ag fields wouldn't worry me too much. Might take an extra handkerchief or some coffee filters to pre filter the sediment out. Sediment plugging the filter and being a PIA would be my biggest worry.

The Iowa dnr recommends against drinking any water from streams in Iowa even if it is filtered, I am sure it’s about the same in Illinois. I have drank water from streams on purpose and in advertantly in Iowa and Illinois and haven’t gotten sick take so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Given what I have seen of the cancer rate around my wife's community in NC Indiana (her HS class of around 150 has had more than 20 deaths by 50yo) I would NOT take chances with ag chemicals. Maybe pre scout for possible safe water sources along the way....not familiar with the trail but this would be my first thought.

I’d stick to water from springs. I’ve done this in MN and WI. Bring a dropper bottle with fresh household bleach and add 2 drops/liter. I’ve drank hundreds of gallons afield using this method with no ill effect. The key is starting with good clean water.

For many years, I've used, with no issue,
Katadyn Gravity Camp 6L 10oz.
Katadyn Base Camp Pro 10L
I don't have to deal with ag water. Just Caribou, moose, beaver pooh and a multitude of other critter poohs. Clear streams, glacier "milk" or slow moving algae water. I prefer clear moving sources. Algae waters clog the filters quicker.

Bleach will disinfect, but won't do anything for the chemical contaminants. It can actually make some of them worse by combining to form other forms of contamination. I'd definitely find the cleanest source and wouldn't use just regular old surface water from streams or rivers unless I had to. Springs would be a good choice but I'd still filter it as well. Filter first, then disinfect if you think you still need it.

Too much chemical runoff and contamination in Illinois' water. If you can find a source spring you will do OK.

Just so you are aware, there are sections of the Illinois River that the DNR recommends not eating certain fish from because of chemical contamination. I certainly wouldn't drink the water.

Like other have said, try to gather from springs and headwaters. If that's unavoidable on your route, I'd look at something like the Sawyer Select S3, but also collect in a "dirty water" bag and let the heavy sediment settle before filtering. I'm not sure what kind of coal plants are in the area, but heavy metals could be in the groundwater, so be careful trusting springs, even.

If you can find a filter with a carbon or charcoal secondary filter, this will reduce chemical content in the water. I am not saying it will be perfect depending on what type of runoff you are dealing with, but it would certainly be better than just a normal filter.

The model the OP linked had a carbon 2nd stage to the filter.

I've had good luck using a Steripen. Pretty quick and packs light. I'm usually starting with a pretty good product though. If I was drinking out of a real muddy river I would use something else.

I just got off the phone with the president of the trail society down there and he made it sound like it’s nbd and people do it all the time. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Thanks everyone for the help!

I recommend the Sawyer filter device, super convenient. I can just fill the dirty bag, attach the filter, and let gravity do all the work. As long as you rinse the filter at the end of the day to avoid clogging. Very good water filtration.

I just got off the phone with the president of the trail society down there and he made it sound like it’s nbd and people do it all the time. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Thanks everyone for the help!
There you have it. As long as he doesn't look like this guy, you should be fine.

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    35.4 KB · Views: 5
I use Sawyer Products B0899 NW4 gravity water, I was surprised that the water is better than bottled water and easy to use. As long as you rinse the filter again at the end of the day to avoid a blockage.

Last edited:
The UL setup that I've used all over America now. From the Appalachian Trail to the Arizona Trail. This pic was taken this weekend in Ozark National Forest.
CNOC Vecto 2L bag + Sawyer Squeeze (avoid the mini and the micro!) with a SmartWater bottle setup as a gravity feed.
When you get the Sawyer just throw away the provided bags and syringe.

Remember- pumps suck and LifeStraws are worthless.

Attachments

• 20210326_142228.jpg
    20210326_142228.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 7
Back