Waste of Game

Brian in Montana

I was kind of appalled when I went to the landfill yesterday and saw this laying off to the side:

IMG20231208144354.jpg

Maybe this was roadkill, but I'm not sure why someone would gut and skin roadkill. I can't imagine that this wouldn't be considered waste of game. I seriously considered calling the Game Warden, but didn't.

I've taken 3 animals to the dump in nearly the same state. All 3 tested Positive for CWD
Wouldn't doubt a good qty related to CWD's exception to the wanton waste regulation. Libby, MT has been slammed w/ CWD. Friend dumped his after gutting and transporting. Checkpoint tested and results came back positive. Off to the dump the gutted carcass was disposed.

1702203062870.png

They must do things differently up there…. How do you guys get results back that fast? I primarily hunt a cwd zone here and that meat’s in the freezer for 2-3 weeks before I have results
I think my average for results for CWD testing is around 48 hours. It's that quick with the lab just over in Laramie.

I could absolutely have a deer/elk hanging for the amount of time it takes to get results back and then pitch the whole carcass. Probably would get some strange/irritated looks though.

The biologist told me on Monday when they sampled our deer they would go to Iowa State or Colorado State University for testing and it would be a month to get results.

Same it's weeks here for results. Actually you don't get results. They only call you if it's positive.

6+ weeks for us and you have to check a spreadsheet that gets updated weekly online I beleive. No warning if it's positive and you forget to look it up.

6+ weeks for us and you have to check a spreadsheet that gets updated weekly online I beleive. No warning if it's positive and you forget to look it up.
Last one I had done was obviously already cut up before I woukd have known couldn't help but think to myself as I served the kids the first meal, God I hope they didn't forget to call us.

Last one o had done was obviously already cut up before I woukd have known couldn't help but think to myself as I served the kids the first meal, God I hope they didn't forget to call us.

Been luck so far, they all tested negative and I usually have enough meat leftover from the previous season before I get into the new stuff. But numbers are crazy around here so it's only a matter of time. Who knows, this year's might come back positive.

I'm more worried about the many untested deer heads I've euro'd for buddies and pretty much possibly getting prions all over my stuff when I hit that brain juice with the pressure washer. Ultimately, I don't care about myself and it won't stop me from hunting or doing my own heads, but I do worry about my kids.

Only ones i have tested all took 2-3 weeks. The carcass in pic must be more to it, someone took time to skin, split ribs and everything. If it is wasted it wasnt orginal intention i am guessing and life happens sometimes.

I'm more worried about the many untested deer heads I've euro'd for buddies and pretty much possibly getting prions all over my stuff when I hit that brain juice with the pressure washer. Ultimately, I don't care about myself and it won't stop me from hunting or doing my own heads, but I do worry about my kids.
Right there with ya got like 3 heads getting dropped off today. Worry about the kids as well.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back