Caribou Gear Tarp

WANTED; Nevada elk info 76,77,79,81

Howdy

Looking to get first hand info from hunters who have had this tag in the past. Some of you might be on your 10 year time out like me. I drew Neveda a few years ago in 121.
This is my wife's tag and I need to help her get the bull of her dreams.
I plan on going over for a week this summer to learn a little about the area.
I have hunted area 7 for deer across the road, but never elk in the NE corner.
I have the maps of the area and would like to talk with as many hunters as I can.
Looking for areas to scout and would like to know where some of you have seen elk on your hunts I'm. to old to ever get another elk tag in nevada.
This tag is the nov 4-14 rifle hunt.
thanks for info you could sent our way.
Howdy

Thanks guys for all the help.
Randy, when I hunted elk in nevada a couple years ago, I too burried my truck in a spring.
it was a long day. I had left the truck an hour before light climbed a tall mt. hunted all day, returned to the truck after dark. On the way back to camp was tired and not paying attention as I should have.
Slipped off the hill into a spring. After trying to get out for a couple hrs gave up.
Burried to the axles, i walked the 3 miles to camp.
I had my handiman jack there too. I also had my Quad there.
In the morning I drove back to the truck to find in frozen solid in Ice 2" thick. At daylight I drove my quad to the only camp in the area. found some guys with a big truck who had one hell of of time getting me out. This solo hunt had a lot of adventures too.
The mountain lion vs elk is another story...
The hunters who pulled me out were rewarded that day with a good 350+ bull.
Nothing better than elk hunting !!!

That is a great elk tag to have and I pulled a bull out years ago ;) Of course any elk tag in NV is a good one! It's big, open country so be prepared for a lot of glassing. I'd say hope for weather because that will have them in the area - and catch them before they move from the mountains down into the flats on private - those tags were around $12k IIRC

It's a little different hunt than it used to be. They used to give out 4 muzzleloader tags, and then like 34 early tags and 34 late tags. This year there are a lot more archery tags, 28 muzzleloader tags, and 100 early tags and 88 late tags. Anyways, if it was me, I would try to be on the bull I wanted opening morning. 100 rigs, plus figure at least half of those have a buddy with them. Then add in cow elk and deer hunters. You get the idea.. Also, the elk are pretty widespread throughout all unit groups now.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone !

We always scout for several days before the hunt to tie a couple up.
Solid advice ...

Right on. I drew the archery bull tag on this unit so I'll be able to give you some solid intel after my hunt.

Anyone who can assist with this one I'm all ears too. It's a looonnnngggg way from my house to the unit but I'm planning on at least 1 scouting trip and getting there early to setup camp and do a little more scouting prior to the season.

I drew the 76-081 Archery,I am the new guy here ,so I would like to say hello to all, and hope to contribute as much as I can.I will give feed back to the rifle tag holders when I get back from scouting if you would like....12 yrs waiting for this one!

Welcome ...
I have been getting some good info on the units.
Saw the vidio of the hunt randy went on.
Also there is another TV show with jason carter hunting the unit out there.
Lots of elk, open country, some old burns and PJ habitat. Tons of roads to get aroud too.
I've been marking up my maps with ares to scout.
Can't wait to get over later this summer to scout...
Howdy

I'll be out scouting too and will be hunting solo. Give me a heads up when you're heading out as I may be scouting at the same time.

Thanks for the PM's
Thomas by all means, send all the info you have.
Thanks,
Howdy

Hows it going everyone? I also drew a tag for the area for archery. It's my first elk and my first archery hunt so it should be interesting. If people are willing to share some info on the area it would be very appreciated. I am going to make a scouting trip out there at the end of June or first week in July and can share what I find with you.

WOW lots of lucky tag holders this year in that unit. I also drew the rifle tag Nov 6 to the 20th Can't wait to get down there and see what I can turn up. I did talk to a fish and game buddy. He stated there is a lot of illegal hunting taking place, during the rifle hunt. The last few years they have been getting reports of air plains push/herding elk. So if you see it try to film/ take pics and get a tail number.

Thanks for the heads up on the plane's Muley...I will have a video camera with me in case that trash pulls any stunts during the archery hunt.

Was there a TV hunt there last year or the year before? Rhymes with Bridge Beeper...

Lots of hunt talkers on this hunt. Should be fun.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back