Waiting until the last two weeks

Pagosa

How many of you Montana hunters wait until the last few weeks of season to get serious about elk and deer hunting? Due too a busy fall I've made it out two mornings on opening weekend for elk and a couple evenings behind my house for deer with the kids. I'm not able to really start until NOVEMBER 12th, but have the last couple weeks pretty open for hunting. I just wonder how many of the resident hunters find success later in the season. Good luck of there.

That was my plan for my deer but a nice 155" buck presented himself to me last weekend and i couldnt say no! Good luck on your adventures

Most success has come early in the season and was due to a lot of scouting. I like you don't have a lot of time early in the year. It is hard for me to string two days together until Thanksgiving. I enjoy hunting later in the year with the colder, often snowy weather and the rut keeping the bucks active. Some good memories form the late 70's and 80's. Recently I have found that the hunting pressure is much more concentrated during the rut and on the public land I prefer to hunt and finding a nice buck or getting away from other hunters is difficult. One thing about the rut is it shifts the chance of success from hard work to getting lucky.
As a sportsman I really enjoy the opportunity provided by the long season. However the negatives associated with the opportunity season are high and for me out way the positives

Last edited:
Deer wise I tend to do better later in the season when animals are doing their rutting business. Elk wise, I hear most get shot opening weekend (or the first few days of the season) and judging from the FWP checkstation data that is holding true for this year.

If you're talking about whitetail around home, then yes, that's absolutely the way to do it.

I was mainly thinking of elk. The few evenings I deer hunted the whitetail bucks still seem to be together. I'm going over to Region 3/4 to elk hunt next week, so I hope I run across something. I appreciate the feedback guys.

Deer always during the rut, so later. Elk lately, I have been hitting at the beginning of season. Elk were always usually a late season kind of thing hoping for snow to bring them down.

I'm just starting to get serious. I actually don't feel to frantic if I don't get to hunt at the beginning of the season. My time off mirrors yours.

I take what I can get. I'm not good enough to be able to forego hunting in the early season because I know that, once the snow falls, I will just go out and shoot an elk. Besides, I love hunting in the 40-60 degree weather!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back