Vintage pre 60's elk rifles, what do you have?

Nice buck! and equally nice rifle! The 06 AI is probably one of the only Ackley rounds I have never used. The .556 AI is my go to prairie dog gun, the 257 Robt AI, 280 AI, 350 Ackley have all seen field use. I bet the new powders make the '06 AI really perform.

I have a 257 Ackley Improved taking pronghorn, mule deer. One bull elk and a dandy Wyoming Rocky Mountain Big Horn Ram. Also have a well used 450 Ackley improved for Africa.
Back to elk rifles. I have used on elk 270, 30/06, 7mm Remington Magnum, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag. They all worked fine but think my favorite is the 300 Win Mag, in the old days used 200 grain Nosler Partitions but in recent years 180 grain Barnes Triple Shocks. Using these calibers over the decades have taken 35 bulls scattered from Alberta, British Columbia, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada. I love to hunt elk in tough wild country but at 82 years of age those days are behind me. Kindest Regards.

Back to elk rifles. I have used on elk 270, 30/06, 7mm Remington Magnum, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag. They all worked fine but think my favorite is the 300 Win Mag, in the old days used 200 grain Nosler Partitions but in recent years 180 grain Barnes Triple Shocks. Using these calibers over the decades have taken 35 bulls scattered from Alberta, British Columbia, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada. I love to hunt elk in tough wild country but at 82 years of age those days are behind me. Kindest Regards.
Just dawned on me the 300 Win Mag appeared in 1963. The338 Win Mag in 1958.

I'm going for hogs and deer so its not an "elk" rifle but I'm sure if there were elk in Florida I'd try.
1943 Springfield M1 Garand, Criterion barrel and new walnut. 5 shot enblocs. this will be its first outing next week.
121035223_10219870129116622_6713777951548368339_o.jpg

I'm going for hogs and deer so its not an "elk" rifle but I'm sure if there were elk in Florida I'd try.
1943 Springfield M1 Garand, Criterion barrel and new walnut. 5 shot enblocs. this will be its first outing next week.
View attachment 157473
Still have my old NM gun in the safe, couldn’t sell it, sold the M1A when the competition game got boring. Found some boxes of old Camp Perry issued stuff from the 70”s. Remember what Patton said!

Still have my old NM gun in the safe, couldn’t sell it, sold the M1A when the competition game got boring. Found some boxes of old Camp Perry issued stuff from the 70”s. Remember what Patton said!
that's awesome. I wanted to buy some reproduction "frog skin" but figured it might be a little much.

Here's one I hope to take out this season. It's a 1950s (56-57?) Savage 99 EG in .308win that I rehabbed. Picked it up in pretty poor shape, w/ a broken tang, ill-fitted, crumbling recoil pad, and gouges/dings all over. I fixed the tang w/ gorilla glue and toothpicks, steamed all the dents out that I could, re-oiled the stock, found a proper metal buttplate, and re-wound the magazine spool. Now it shoots 1.5" w/ 168gr, and I absolutely love it. Surprisingly nice trigger on it, too!savage 99.jpg

Last edited:
Ballard, circa 1880s.

YdiH6R8.jpg

Or did you mean pre1860?
Poor photo, but Joseph Lang, circa 1830.

Sold this one though to go "modern"
93nB33x.jpg

If i could like this multiple times I would! I shoot Ballards for BP shillouette and this is my favorite post!! Caliber? I am taking my 40-65 to NM to shoot a bison, 400 gr cast 1/20 with Swiss BP for 1175fps.

Here's one I hope to take out this season. It's a 1950s (56-57?) Savage 99 EG in .308win that I rehabbed. Picked it up in pretty poor shape, w/ a broken tang, ill-fitted, crumbling recoil pad, and gouges/dings all over. I fixed the tang w/ gorilla glue and toothpicks, steamed all the dents out that I could, re-oiled the stock, found a proper metal buttplate, and re-wound the magazine spool. Now it shoots 1.5" w/ 168gr, and I absolutely love it. Surprisingly nice trigger on it, too!View attachment 157522
They are really slick lever guns, bought one in college a 300 Savage that was a takedown for $50 bucks in a pawn shop. Made in the 30”s with that cool rotary magazine. Gave it to my roommate so he could keep the fraternity kitchen supplied with white tails in upstate NY. We probably shot 1/2 dozen deer with it, just a redfield peep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back