Utah's public land stance vs Outdoor Retailer Show

PHX or ALB has space.
NM should be all over this but the Gov. would rather hand out tax breaks to extraction industries & build spaceports for billionaires.

Herbert probably told them the same crap he said here...

https://youtu.be/yqHDpICzxgE

I'm a lifelong resident of Utah, and I'm glad the show left. We deserve to get slapped around for voting for these people.

Gov Herbert says when states were awarded statehood, they "gave" the federal government lands within the state to be "disposed" of. Any idea how he came to that "alternative" fact about the history of statehood?

PHX or ALB has space.
NM should be all over this but the Gov. would rather hand out tax breaks to extraction industries & build spaceports for billionaires.

Oddly enough, the search has been more about the convention floor space (asking for 900K ft2) than hotels, etc. Several years ago, Denver put itself in the hat for the show and was shortlisted, but is planning to revamp the National Western Complex (which certainly needs a revamp, regardless). I haven't been to OR since the mid-90s when it was in it's first years in SLC, but I understand that they've had to use tents in SLC recently to accommodate the size.

CO has been pitching it hard the last 5 years, but the 2012 'short list' was the standard group of facilities in Las Vegas, Orlando and Anaheim that have the monster shows. Hopefully now that there's more immediacy as well as a clear voice from the retailer group on outdoor opportunity being a big part of the criteria, we will do better.

2012 article:http://www.denverpost.com/2012/06/2...massive-outdoor-retailer-summer-trade-show-3/
Last weeks article: http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/06/outdoor-retailer-show-looking-for-new-host-city/

Phoenix got dumped for a scheduled Super Bowl twenty years ago. The powers that be fixed that problem quick (Added MLK Day). Utah will have a tough time replacing that kind of show money. They will be lucky if others don't move. Most
likely claim its anti-mormon bias. That covers a multitude of sins in Utah. FWIW. GJ

Gov Herbert says when states were awarded statehood, they "gave" the federal government lands within the state to be "disposed" of. Any idea how he came to that "alternative" fact about the history of statehood?

The same way that President concluded he won by the biggest Electoral Vote in decades; because he said so. And in 'Merica we now go by the rule of "Since I'm elected by a yuge majority, if I say it's so, it is a fact. Next question."

There is not a single fact to support that claim. It is an alt-fact that I would bet came from the Utah Legislature and the circle of geniuses they assign to lead on topics of public lands.

Second. That the people inhabiting said proposed State do agree and declare that they forever disclaim all right and title to the unappropriated public lands lying within the boundaries thereof; and to all lands lying within said limits owned or held by any Indian or Indian tribes; and that until the title thereto shall have been extinguished by the United States, the same shall be and remain subject to the disposition of the United States

The Gov. must be unable to read the written word. No where in the enabling act did the State of Utah "give" this lands to the Federal Government. The agreed to "forever disclaim right and title" to those lands.

Utah is a special place with special people who have a special kind of logic. They must buy those short buses by the hundreds.

Nemont

Yeah, a lot of restaurant owners, hotel guys, and other tourist companies love seeing 4.5% of their revenue disappear.

And take $45 million out of the pockets of the guys near SLC.

Last edited:
The Gov. must be unable to read the written word. No where in the enabling act did the State of Utah "give" this lands to the Federal Government. The agreed to "forever disclaim right and title" to those lands.

Utah is a special place with special people who have a special kind of logic. They must buy those short buses by the hundreds.

Nemont

Yeah, no one is offended by that statement.

Interesting thought process. 4% hit this year, next year, the following year..... Financial planner?

You do realize those vacated dates will be booked by someone else? That 4% will be replaced.

Each year OR takes two weeks for a five day show. Lots of setup/teardown time which is missed opportunity during peak summer season. State pays over $2M annually to setup pavilions for five day show. That $45M will be replaced in two-three years tops and could actually increase since all that setup/teardown time may be reduced.

I see Winter show going to Denver. It's the only option with air service, convention center, hotels, and resorts. Winter Park is triple distance what Salt Lake's resorts are but it's doable. Summer could be Vegas, Denver, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio; perhaps Chicago or Minneapolis gets a look. Phoenix downtown is horrible (sorry AZ) and it's nasty hot; at least Vegas is fun during summer.

Utah will move on to find other opportunities to fill calendar dates. Walked the HuntExpo today and a couple takeaways which relate. Attendance is strong with growing numbers outside the day drive in markets; WY, ID, Southern UT. Several booths had signage "Keep Public Lands Public" or some variation which was nice to see.

p.s National Taxidermists Convention and Competition in Utah this July. http://nationaltaxidermists.com/2017-show/ Looking forward to attending.

If it was no big deal why did Herbie even meet with them?

Tell yourself what you must, Utah just lost a huge revenue stream.

If it was no big deal why did Herbie even meet with them?

Tell yourself what you must, Utah just lost a huge revenue stream.

Governor tried to have a conversation and was given an ultimatum. Utah will replace that revenue from one segment of our strong and diverse economy.

How's WY doing with that huge education deficit? Time to pay state income tax yet?

You do realize those vacated dates will be booked by someone else? That 4% will be replaced.

Each year OR takes two weeks for a five day show. Lots of setup/teardown time which is missed opportunity during peak summer season. State pays over $2M annually to setup pavilions for five day show. That $45M will be replaced in two-three years tops and could actually increase since all that setup/teardown time may be reduced.

I.

You realise all that "setup/teardown" is a lot of hours being paid to tradesman, electricians, movers, exhibit guys, etc. Those are good paying jobs, that are needed.

The amount of delusion to believe that money will be replaced is crazy.

Now, you have to have your Governor out with his tincup in his hand, begging the next show, setting up sales pitches, funding the Tourist Board, etc.

I have NEVER seen a business model that said it was cheaper to get new customers than to keep old customers happy. The cost of acquisition on a new customer to fill that spot is stupidly expensive.

You realise all that "setup/teardown" is a lot of hours being paid to tradesman, electricians, movers, exhibit guys, etc. Those are good paying jobs, that are needed.

The amount of delusion to believe that money will be replaced is crazy.

Now, you have to have your Governor out with his tincup in his hand, begging the next show, setting up sales pitches, funding the Tourist Board, etc.

I have NEVER seen a business model that said it was cheaper to get new customers than to keep old customers happy. The cost of acquisition on a new customer to fill that spot is stupidly expensive.

Yep, considering good ole R's always claim they stand with small business owners, I can say for a fact that what the Utah Gov did is not the way small businesses are run.

Governor wants large outdoor show in Montana

Gov. Bullock’s office announced Friday that Montana will compete to host the massive industry trade show Outdoor Retailer after organizers announced the event would leave its longtime home following a dispute over public lands.

“The governor definitely noticed and is definitely interested in advocating for Montana,” Ronja Abel, a spokeswoman for Gov. Steve Bullock, told the Chronicle. “Montana is a pretty good place for something like that.”

The Governor’s Office of Economic Development is currently assessing locations across the state, Abel added...

Back