Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Utah LE units and Roadless areas?

2rocky

Over the years, I've been accumulating points for Utah with the goal of drawing a tag and having a shot at a real Trophy Mule Deer buck. Along with trophy potential, I really value having a "roadless" hunt where I don't have to compete with ATV's and road hunters. I always envisioned an alpine/high country type bowhunt rather than the canyons and oak scrub I've seen from Utah.

For years I thought I wanted to draw the Book Cliffs, but after hearing about other people's hunts, I'm not sure that it will provide the type of hunt experience I'm looking for. Have I gotten the wrong impression about the unit? Does the roadless area have the trophy potential worth waiting 6-8 years for?

Are there other LE and Premium Units that have the kind of roadless Alpine country i've envisioned? Will I have to compromise either trophy quality or scenic value if I'm going to hunt Utah?

I'd love to hear from other trophy mule deer hunters who can tell me about Utah before it is time to apply again in January. Either here or in pm's and Email.

John,
First of all, the wait on a Books tag is now 9-10 years, not 6-8. Will probably keep creeping up too. Can you find seclusion in the Books roadless area? Absolutely, especially with your access to horses. Is it high alpine? Definitely not. Still holds bucks and some good ones if you are willing to wade through lots of smaller ones.

As for the other UT LE units, you still are not really looking at timberline type of hunts. Most are canyon country, PJ's, sage, some aspen, etc. Still very scenic, IMO. Still holding good bucks too.

If you are dead set on a good quality alpine wilderness hunt, CO is your best bet. And the best draw units there are still recovering from a really harsh winter a few years back. There are dozens of units you can draw with little to no points too.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back