UPOM as an Anti-Hunting, Anti-Fishing Organization

Another thought to add to the list of thoughts.

Bad legislation-aka-Debbie Barrett’s bill writing objectives into law, got us to this point.

This lawsuit should be the catalyst for a Citizens initiative requiring FWP to manage for healthy herd structures and prioritizing carrying capacity over social tolerance in setting target objectives. Elk objectives would be a targeted goal, not a mandated limit.

May I just say that with this lawsuit, any sympathy I ever had for landowners who don’t allow access and complain about too many elk has vanished.

I sincerely hope that ranchers who are members of UPOM and support this lawsuit go bankrupt and have to sell to American Prairie.

Senator Manzella from Ravalli County uses “100% voting record with UPOM” as a campaign slogan.

Serious

I received a flyer from Ryan Zinke’s campaign.

“Blocked American Prairie Reserve from obtaining BLM leases,” was listed as one of his major accomplishments…..🤦‍♂️

This will go to the attorney general, not FWP.

Expect the AG to offer a compromise that effectively gives UPOM what they want.

As one lawyer said today, "it's essentially emotional drivel wrapped up in bad lawyering."

So likely the AG either rolls, or he fights it.

I don't see Austin fighting the people who put him in power, personally.

This will go to the attorney general, not FWP.

Expect the AG to offer a compromise that effectively gives UPOM what they want.

As one lawyer said today, "it's essentially emotional drivel wrapped up in bad lawyering."

So likely the AG either rolls, or he fights it.

I don't see Austin fighting the people who put him in power, personally.
Could he push for what is in the current EMP of cow harvest only? We shouldn’t be able to pick and choose what is followed.

I don't see Austin fighting the people who put him in power, personally
There’s a lot more people that voted for him that aren’t UPOM members than people that are UPOM members.

Edit: it’s the non members that need to contact him

Reactions: DFS
Could he push for what is in the current EMP of cow harvest only? We shouldn’t be able to pick and choose what is followed.

Theoretically, yes. In fact, a judge could simply say that the remedy is cows only & no bull hunting, plus elk in inaccessible don't count to the objective.

But that's not what the lawsuit it. The lawsuit is a vehicle to capitulate to UPOM while pretending like the agency & AG don't think they can win.

It's a sophomoric attempt at skullduggery.

Theoretically, yes. In fact, a judge could simply say that the remedy is cows only & no bull hunting, plus elk in inaccessible don't count to the objective.

But that's not what the lawsuit it. The lawsuit is a vehicle to capitulate to UPOM while pretending like the agency & AG don't think they can win.

What a convenient time to file it as well

This is infuriating and I think a big part of this comes down to laziness on the fwp to not update objectives and get a new EMP in place. I don’t care about anyones political view but managing wildlife isn’t hard when the stakeholders have wildlife in mind. That goes for both sides.

Sounds to me like a bad lawsuit suit deserves to be answered with a good lawsuit…

Sounds to me like a bad lawsuit suit deserves to be answered with a good lawsuit…
Would it be possible to file a suit against the department to force them to enact cow only seasons? If UPOM wants to hold them accountable for managing within objectives then here you go fellas. I’m no fan of lawsuits but it feels like sportsmen are going to get run over on this deal yet again. I don’t like the thought of any lawsuit driving hunting regulations so perhaps that’d be a bad precedent. That being said I’d be willing to chip in for attorney fees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back