Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Unit 9 lusk advice...not seeing much

bb1379

Did the research and have been here for 2 days trying to get to high school boys their first antelope. we have been hunting the east side of town and I have seen next to nothing everywhere we have been we plan on hitting the Westside tomorrow and up north. has anyone been here the last few days and if so would you mind helping out a guy try to get these kids a buck? Thank you in advance

I will send you a pm that might help. Hunted it a couple years ago
Also, don't be afraid to stop and talk to some ranchers. You might be surprised how much they can be willing to help.

Last edited:
Also check your tag and regs, I believe we could have hunted part of unit 11 below 9 with that tag, maybe down to the county line. But check the Private message I sent, that guy could be a huge help.

If I remember right, that hunt runs over to the area west of Manville. It has been several years since I have been there, and there are not near the antelope there that there used to be. We had six doe tags and filled them all in one day, on a walk-in area west of Manville, on the south side of the highway. Not sure what it is like now.

A friend and I hunted unit 9 on the second weekend of the season. We both managed to tag nice bucks and saw plenty of antelope in the unit. You can hunt Unit 11 in Niobrara county too, which we did not know when we were there. If you have a map of the state, BLM, and walk in areas, don't ignore the small school sections of state land. Also be sure to walk in to these areas as we found many of the herds cannot be seen from the road. It may look like there's nothing there but if you walk in over a hill or two antelope may be in a low spot or draw. I hope this helps. Good luck!

A friend and I hunted unit 9 on the second weekend of the season. We both managed to tag nice bucks and saw plenty of antelope in the unit. You can hunt Unit 11 in Niobrara county too, which we did not know when we were there. If you have a map of the state, BLM, and walk in areas, don't ignore the small school sections of state land. Also be sure to walk in to these areas as we found many of the herds cannot be seen from the road. It may look like there's nothing there but if you walk in over a hill or two antelope may be in a low spot or draw. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Exactly what we found when we hunted there.

I will send you a pm that might help. Hunted it a couple years ago
Also, don't be afraid to stop and talk to some ranchers. You might be surprised how much they can be willing to help.

Look way off the roads. I just got back from unit 9 with my two boys and they tagged out on day two hour5. The herd we spotted over two miles away in the center of a block. We went around the block and stalked them nearly two and a half miles and we packed them out 2 miles. They were pumped both nice 13+ bucks out of the same herd. All the animals we spotted were along ways off the roads

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 738
Perfect ! Congradulations on your success. Antelope is a fun hunt,nice trophy with the chance to bring home some good meat.

Last edited:
Look way off the roads. I just got back from unit 9 with my two boys and they tagged out on day two hour5. The herd we spotted over two miles away in the center of a block. We went around the block and stalked them nearly two and a half miles and we packed them out 2 miles. They were pumped both nice 13+ bucks out of the same herd. All the animals we spotted were along ways off the roads

Great pic and hunt!

Get out and walk around a bit. We were up there last weekend for 2 days, and all the goats we found were basically out of sight of the roads, not necessarily far off the roads, but usually in spots where the road-hunters couldn't readily see them.

How did your hunt turn out? I hope you found a few bucks for them.

My dad just got back from eastern Wyoming. They said the area seemed devoid of antelope until they got about 2 miles off of the road and then there were covered up in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back