NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Unit 74 and 75 CO archery

pocon2

Hello,
I'm looking at going to either of these units next year for my first elk hunt. I'm currently deployed and just trying to do my research while I can and was wondering how the area is maybe get a few pointers and gear I might need. I plan on backpacking in and hunting for about a week. Any pointers would be great.
Thank you,
Patrick

I hunted 75/751 in 2016 on a OTC archery tag during the second week of September. Didn't harvest a elk but was in bow range twice. There are plenty of elk around also no lack of hunters but with a little work you can get away from the crowds. The terrain can be pretty rough with thick timber. I brought the gear to bivy camp a few nights away from the truck but most nights I camped at the truck it pays to stay mobile. I plan on going back this year with a muzzleloader tag. What season were you planning on hunting archery, rifle, or muzzleloader? If you have any specific questions feel free to send me a pm.

I hunted both units last year on my first elk hunt. I was not successful, but did get into elk a number of times, and gained a ton of experience. There are tons of roads and trailheads to hike in from. As stated above, there are plenty of elk AND hunters in those areas. The things I took away from my hunt are things that are mentioned on this site over and over. They just didn't truly sink in until I had experienced it for myself. Get away from your truck/roads. Hunting pressure was high, and elk sightings were low within a mile of the roads. I spent five days backpacking in about five miles from the road and saw elk all over. My inexperience is the thing that kept me from filling my tag. For gear, focus on the important stuff; good boots (already broken in), light weight camping gear, and good rain gear. Don't bring items that you wont NEED. If you get off the beaten path, you'll find opportunities.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTOG
Back