Unit 65 Colorado 1st rifle season, 1st Elk hunt

Crossfire

Ok friends, I've followed this forum long enough to know NOT to ask where should I go. So I want to focus more on strategy. I've listened to Randy enough to know to get away from the roads and I've got what appear to be good possible sites narrowed down to about 75 locations or so. It appears that the 1st rifle season is a bit of an enigma. The rut is at it's end & so are the bugles so we don't expect to locate Elk through vocalizations. We also expect the Elk to be transitioning from higher to lower elevations (based on weather & pressure) but are we still going to be able to glass up a few above timberline or are they going to be primarily in the timber rendering optics less effective. I know that burn areas are areas to target but this unit doesn't appear to have any recent ones. Are beetle kill areas similar, cause there appear to be several. We also have one cow tag & one either sex tag. while taking a nice bull would be fantastic we'll both be thrilled coming back to Ohio with a couple cows.
I'm sure some of your responses will prompt more questions since I don't know what I don't know, And of course while I don't expect any one to share their sure fire honey holes, I'll certainly love to hear about them.
Thanks in advance

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pam Fetzner
Back