PEAX Equipment

Unit 5b Arizona

lumberjack21

I drew a november rifle elk hunt in unit 5b AZ. I've done some scouting and helped out a buddy in 5B north during his archery hunt and was quite impressed with what I saw. I've been trying to do some scouting but its tough to do while being in school in Flagstaff. If anyone has some pointers for me that would be fantastic. I've done some scouting a few weeks ago in the very south part of the unit and it was good territory but its not a week before the hunt and there is nice 5 day snow storm starting here in northern az so I'm not sure how those elk I saw will react.

Flag is real close unit 5 so it shouldn't be too hard to spend a few hours poking around.

AZ Game and Fish has where to hunt posted on their website. Good luck.

First off, welcome aboard. It's always nice to see more AZ guys join up. I hope you stick around.

I take it from your handle that you are a student at NAU. If everything goes to plan I'll be up there taking classes in a year or so.

I also have an elk hunt rapidly approaching, and am curious to see how much snow we get out of this storm. The roads might get a little interesting, which, for me, will probably end up being a good thing.

As was mentioned above you should check the AZGFD website. Here's the link to some good info:

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_units_5b.shtml

Since you have already scouted some areas, the info on the link might help you with what to expect. If you have questions about specific areas and how much snowfall will affect elk in those areas, I suggest that you call the Flagstaff office of Game and Fish. You can find the number on the website.

Once again, welcome to the site, and I wish you the best of luck on your hunt. Remember to take lots of pictures, and I hope that you will post up the story of your hunt, whether you harvest or not.

All the best lumberjack.

Sounds like you had a good time on your buddies hunt, care to post a report with a few photos and a unit run down to perhaps give some guys here a bit of an insight into your experiences in the unit??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back