Yeti GOBOX Collection

Unit 34 deer Wyoming

Archeryforever

Hi everyone, my son and I just drew unit 34 deer and unit 73 antelope for Wyoming. I was hoping for some guidance, we are from Pennsylvania and have not hunted this unit before. I spoke to the game warden, and the biologist but I would like to get some input from some veteran hunters familiar with the area. We will be camping and concentrating on deer. Thanks

I hunted it last year for antelope and had a blast. I can't wait to go back. I got excited and impatient and shot a 12" buck. I think if I had held out I could have done better. It was my first lope hunt and there is literally antelope everywhere. I was also very fortunate to have a fellow hunttalk member help me out as well. Out of respect for him and his spot I will let him chime in on specifics if he wants to do so. Honestly though, you really shouldn't have any trouble finding lope.

I didn't see many deer where I was. I have thought about going there for mulies, but I don't think it's worth the 9 points it takes to draw now. If I had the deer tag I think I would focus on the more rugged and broken country in the NW corner of the unit, but I have no idea what the antelope density is like up there.

Good luck and have a blast with your son. My two boys are 1 and 4 and I cannot wait for the day I get to take them with me.

Side note, where in PA are you from? I grew up there.

thanks for the input, I'm from north of Pittsburgh, and if your saving points for antelope my brother and I drew 114 three years ago and both shot Boone and cricket lopes in 2 days

the antelope you will find almost anywhere in the zone. Last year I found them all over.
The mule deer I found were in the western side of the area. The roads will get nasty with any moisture at all

As others have said, the northwest part of the unit is where to concentrate on deer while antelope are pretty much all over the unit. I also agree with the comment that the unit is not worth more than about 5 or 6 PPs now and I certainly wouldn't burn 9 PPs on it.

Thanks for the info our plan is to get out there a day or two before season and weather permitting get our tents set in a good location to hub out of. And unfortunately top gun I did burn 9 pts for this tag so I'm definitely going to hunt hard and make this an enjoyable hunt

Thanks for the info our plan is to get out there a day or two before season and weather permitting get our tents set in a good location to hub out of. And unfortunately top gun I did burn 9 pts for this tag so I'm definitely going to hunt hard and make this an enjoyable hunt

Good luck, but IMHO I wouldn't pass a 150"-160" buck if you get the chance at one unless you're happy eating tag soup.

I have no intention of passing a buck of that size, but not tagging out is not a concern either, the last time I was mule deer hunting I got a region m general tag to go along with our 114 antelope tags and after we harvested goats we hunted for deer for three days with only doe sitings and then we got pushed off the prairie by winter storm atlas and that pretty much ended the hunt, so if I am blessed enough to get a chance at a decent buck I'll be thrilled

I have no intention of passing a buck of that size, but not tagging out is not a concern either, the last time I was mule deer hunting I got a region m general tag to go along with our 114 antelope tags and after we harvested goats we hunted for deer for three days with only doe sitings and then we got pushed off the prairie by winter storm atlas and that pretty much ended the hunt, so if I am blessed enough to get a chance at a decent buck I'll be thrilled

That's the proper attitude to have because there are so many out there that have to kill a good one or they aren't happy. My just getting to go out there every year is all I need to be happy and have a good time!

Its a unit worth spending some time, there are some great bucks in the unit, but its a lot of country to cover. I would suggest not hunting the NW corner, everyone hunts there. The best buck I saw in that unit was nowhere near the NW corner of the unit...

I gotta love when nonresidents give advise about Wyoming hunting areas they know little about.

Area 34 for deer in Wyoming had 1024 resident applicants for a drawing ratio of 14%. It was the most sought after deer tag in central Wyoming.

There are deer literally everywhere in area 34, although they are quite scattered. I have seen 170+ bucks taken in every corner of the area and all places in between. If you can hunt the last week, you have a realistic chance at some great mature mule deer bucks.

Back