Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Unit 27 Idaho

I elk hunted this a couple years ago. Camped on the air strip 3K and hunted up. Found fresh elk sign at 6k but the elk were pushed up higher by horse hunters. Saw a two point on the river but no deer tag, no sign between the river and 6k to speak of. I’d push first day and establish camp higher next time. Epic ground, not filling my tag doesn’t bother me one bit. Enjoy.

Al

I hunted Unit 27 this past October. Some areas are a lot steeper than others but it’s all steep. It is some of the most beautiful country I’ve ever seen. I only hunted for a week but I found 19 elk, 14 mule deer, 8 bighorn rams, and a half dozen grouse.

This is unit 27 from my hunt there in 2019. For scale, notice the 2 guys in the lower right-hand corner. We were unsuccessful in that hunt but enjoyed our time there so much that I'm going to unit 20A in September 2022.
How did you do last year?

I have only deer hunted in there. Beautiful for sure. There was a few elk way up high and I have never been so happy to NOT have an elk tag 😂 Its a lot of work just getting a deer out. Cool place but not a bunch of game. It’s a vast wilderness but most hunters get bunched up around airports and the reasonable access trails is what I have seen. I’m going to go back ,probably in another year or two, just because I love being there. I don’t think I will ever buy the elk tag -I have way better (and easier) places to hunt elk in Idaho

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back